Thread: Another MDS delete help needed post

Potential Tuner

Another MDS delete help needed post

I'm working on a 2011 5.7 1500 that the #3 lifter ate the cam lobe and #5 lifter collapsed and stayed collapsed. Upgraded the lifters to Mopar hell cat non MDS lifters and installed a Mopar 2500 non MDS camshaft, replaced all spark plugs with OEM Mopar plugs, and replaced the timing set. Went into the stock file and changed the MDS to disabled. Truck seems to have a misfire at idle, you can only breath on the throttle starting off in drive or engine will bog down, after you get moving you can use the throttle like normal but still sluggish response and still seems to have a slight misfire and ECO light still comes on while driving under light throttle. Any thoughts or ideas on where to go next?

Potential Tuner
    Hooked up my scanner and monitored cylinder misfire counters and cylinder 2 has a misfire for every engine revolution, swapped ignition coil with another cylinder and cylinder#2 still misfires. This was not a MDS cylinder originally nor did it have any codes or issues with cylinder 2 prior to doing anything to the truck. The part number of camshaft I used is 5302-2314-AD. So either I have a injector that coincidentally took a crap or more likely I have an issue with cylinder 2 valve train components? Any thoughts?

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds more likely that you've got a lifter that's not working. Does it have a tick?? I'd would do a leak down on that cylinder and double check your work. More than likely you find it after you work through what you've done. I'm just not one on coincidences and the like.

Potential Tuner
    I hooked up my compression gauge and only had around 30psi of compression, removed the passenger valve cover and found the intake push rod must have fallen out when I put the rocker arm assemblies on. Put it back in and rechecked compression and all was good there. Reassembled everything and started it, misfire was gone but during the test drive it still bogs down bad at TIP-in but seems better in the higher RPM's but still seems like it has dead spots where you have to be light on the throttle until the RPM"s get a little higher. I've only messed with a few GM trucks with HP tuners so I'm not sure what all needs to be turned off for tuning the idle and part throttle as in DEFCO, power enrichment, ect. Can someone give me a list of the things that need to be changed for idle and part throttle tuning on the Mopar side please?

Advanced Tuner
    Also sometimes just disabling the mds isn't enough try zeroing out the mds tables to prevent it from coming on also.

Potential Tuner
    the tables as in the VSS min/max and the ECO min/max? or are there other tables somewhere other than the options in the list under the MDS enable/disable tab?

Advanced Tuner
    yes for both Min just zero them out and that will for sure take care of the MDS, after this you might look into the repository for a factory tune for something without the mds and compare the two files just to see

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by FstdodgeKY View Post
    yes for both Min just zero them out and that will for sure take care of the MDS, after this you might look into the repository for a factory tune for something without the mds and compare the two files just to see
    Thanks I appreciate the follow up help, I completely forgot about the repository. Is the ANN something that can be transferable from a factory 2500 tune to a 1500?

Advanced Tuner
    I wouldn't go all out and just swap the tune for the 2500, But rather just use the 2500 tune as a example and try different things and see what helps. Side note im still learning all this as well just here to throw ideas out help with what i can. Good Luck