Thread: Tuning the Software for a MAF delete.

Tuning the Software for a MAF delete.

Ok, until my PCM throws a MAF error code its hard as hell to start. I'm guessing that there might be something in the dynamic airflow settings to remove the MAF filtering, but i'm lost.

So is it possible to stop the PCM from even looking for a MAF just from settings?
    Warning: User exhibits tendency to use offensive amount of smileys...
    2003 GMC Denali XL
    HPTuners MVPI Pro | LC-1 Wideband | 1 Bar Speed Density OS | MAF Delete | Corsa Sport Exhaust | Flex-A-Lite 282 E-Fans | Nelson Harness | K&N FIPK | SSBC Truck-Force 10 Calipers | Brembo OE Sized Cross-Drilled Discs | NGK TR55's

set DTC to mil on first error and turn off SES..
    solves your issue...or atleast it works for me on every car I have done..

might die the first time you write to the pcm cause that resets its brain..LOL
    -Scott -

I also zero out my MAF table completely...
    2008 Viper - now with HPToona - 1/4 Mile Shenanigans Here
    11.02 @ 130

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer

Hehe yea, tell me about it i spent 30 minutes one night wondering what the heck wont it run. Oh *#&$ forgot to turn the DTC on. LOL
    2003 GMC Denali XL
    HPTuners MVPI Pro | LC-1 Wideband | 1 Bar Speed Density OS | MAF Delete | Corsa Sport Exhaust | Flex-A-Lite 282 E-Fans | Nelson Harness | K&N FIPK | SSBC Truck-Force 10 Calipers | Brembo OE Sized Cross-Drilled Discs | NGK TR55's

Quote Originally Posted by MeentSS02
    I also zero out my MAF table completely...
    not really necessary to do that...but it wont hurt anything if you do
    -Scott -

Ok, so i finally got some time to sit down with the software today. And i am convinced there HAS to be a way to modify the calibration for the air calcs to ignore the MAF, without having to throw a DTC.

Maybe Chris can chime in on how these OS's work, or maybe indicate if there is a way to change a little code to get it to ignore things completely. I worry probably a little too much that i have 2 MAF error codes stored when it comes time to get it Inspected.
    2003 GMC Denali XL

Tuner

so to clarify, to put the car into speed density, you uncheck the "ses enable" box for p0101-p0103 and set the error mode to "0" or "mil on first error"

is this correct?
    02 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC 4X4 6.0L LME 408 w/ET245, Kenne Bell 2.8L, Yank SC3000

yup
    -Scott -

Not to bump a old thread, but its mine so i win

But i had a inspiration today and finally nixed the stupid "MAF leftovers" in the software. While it has not been roadtested, passed the startup and run for more than 2 seconds with all MAF related DTC's set to condition 3 - report no error and the SES's enabled.

I kinda felt like a idiot when i realized that all i needed to change was right infront of me the whole time. DYNAMIC AIRFLOW.

Changed all the filter values to 0 and other values to in effect disable all MAF - VE filtering.

So far things seem good. Now i dont have to struggle to get it to start every time i do a calibration flash
    2003 GMC Denali XL

Tuner
    From all that I've read, here is what you should do:

Set P101, 102, and 103 to "MIL on first error" and disable SES light. (This makes your computer go into default mode. Default is Speed Density.

Set "MAF fail frequency" to zero.

Copy High octane spark table, and Paste into the Low octane spark table.

Supposedly, when your MAF "fails" it goes into low octane spark.

Then, the car is in SD mode, and will drive based on the VE table and PE table.
    2002 Trans Am 6sp, Hurst shifter, short stick,
    !skip shift, SLP lid, Holley filter, Dynomax Ultraflow muffler, Jet Hot long tubes and cats, FRA, HP tuners, Hotchkis STB and LCAs. TEA stage 1.5 5.3 heads, Comp 220/224 114 +2, UMI Boxed SFCs

Yea, i started a new thread about the transmission woes that my "experiement" caused.

Lets just say, it was good on paper, but failed miserably in practice

Oh, and atleast one good thing came out of it, i tried a Full Rewrite at one point, which cleared all the stored values from the VE Correction Factors that the MAF left with it. While i'm not finished retuning the VE tables, and the VE Multiplyer its already showing more consistancy then in the past. I might even get another degree or two of spark out this LQ4 yet.
    Last edited by RoninsDenali; 04-15-2006 at 05:30 PM.
    2003 GMC Denali XL

Quote Originally Posted by silverTA2002
    From all that I've read, here is what you should do:

Set P101, 102, and 103 to "MIL on first error" and disable SES light. (This makes your computer go into default mode. Default is Speed Density.

Set "MAF fail frequency" to zero.

Copy High octane spark table, and Paste into the Low octane spark table.

Supposedly, when your MAF "fails" it goes into low octane spark.

Then, the car is in SD mode, and will drive based on the VE table and PE table.
    just to clarify....PE works all the time..not just in SD...
    Power Enrich - based on TPS and MAP - multiplier that enriches fuel when you need it to basically...so it looks at the current value in whatever fueling table you have...and it multiplys it by the value in your PE table to get the final fueling value ...
    In SD it multiplies the VE by that # when it is enabled..in normal MAF operation it does the same thing..only usually based on a value from the MAF table (depending on if you are in steady stare operation or changing state..can be VE or MAF..which is one reason why it is important to get your VE correct even if you are using a MAF)
    -Scott -

Tuner
    just to clarify....PE works all the time..not just in SD...
    Power Enrich - based on TPS and MAP - multiplier that enriches fuel when you need it to basically...so it looks at the current value in whatever fueling table you have...and it multiplys it by the value in your PE table to get the final fueling value ...
    In SD it multiplies the VE by that # when it is enabled..in normal MAF operation it does the same thing..only usually based on a value from the MAF table (depending on if you are in steady stare operation or changing state..can be VE or MAF..which is one reason why it is important to get your VE correct even if you are using a MAF)
    Yep.

By VE and PE, I meant "not MAF." I should've said, "only VE and PE." Although, I kinda doubt the "only" part. I dunno.

Stupid MAF....
    !skip shift, SLP lid, Holley filter, Dynomax Ultraflow muffler, Jet Hot long tubes and cats, FRA, HP tuners, Hotchkis STB and LCAs. TEA stage 1.5 5.3 heads, Comp 220/224 114 +2, UMI Boxed SFCs

Quote Originally Posted by silverTA2002
    Stupid MAF....

Hense why i attacked mine with a Dremel

Hehe
    2003 GMC Denali XL

I have people that are using a quote of mine over on ls1tech...

"MAF....??...I think that fell off on my way to the dragstrip along with my muffler..."
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DanaliHD
    so to clarify, to put the car into speed density, you uncheck the "ses enable" box for p0101-p0103 and set the error mode to "0" or "mil on first error"

is this correct?
    Where do you set this stuff? In the scanner?
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePiss
    Where do you set this stuff? In the scanner?
    In the editor.

The error codes are in the dyagnostic section.

Tuner in Training
    Anyone got a tune file for a 5.3 for decapped non flex injectors. 80 lb. Also what do I need to change in the tune to support a btr 3 turbo cam. no maf and I relocated the iat to the intake if that matters. It's a gen3 motor.

Tuner
    Anyone know if there's a trick to do a Crank Relearn on a MAFless setup?

From my understanding the crank relearn procedure won't work unless there are no DTCs set but SD setup requires 3 DTCs set...