Thread: I had a dog and its name was smarty

Tuner in Training

I had a dog and its name was smarty

I have been running around with my smarty jr on the 100hp tune for awhile now. Finally decided to get my truck licensed and pulled the smarty tune. I'm shocked how much snappier the truck is with the stock tune from hp! Its is much more responsive between shifts. Truck is an 05 6speed. I'm guessing the smarty is ment more for an auto

The smarty certainly leaves a lot to be desired. Usually for a stock truck the smarty jr. is a pretty good tow tune though. I've never logged one or seen what they are doing for parameters but the trucks I've rode in with them seem alright.
    They certainly don't hold a candle to a good custom tune though!
    06 SCLB. ATS stage 6, ATS Twin cp3, s369sxe, Fass 220, Hamilton 188/220, 110# springs, DDP 220's, ARP 425's, Big valve head, .40 over, 12v rods, balanced rotating assembly, Efi-Live etc.. 770hp 1380tq Tenacity Tuning

Advanced Tuner
    Definitely all about the custom tuning, platform is pretty irrelevant for most things, it?s the custom tuning itself which doesn?t fall into the same sandbox as boxed tunes. For boxes tunes though, Smarty does better than others on the CR?s, like Superchips... Smarty doesn?t change a whole lot, lift some limiters and raise the timing, rp and pulsewidth in the upper end only.
    Last edited by Jim P; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:36 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    FYI stock tune is stock tune is stock tune. Zero difference between flashing stock with Chrysler, Smarty, HPT or other. I ran a smarty S06 with TNT-R sw#7 on my old 05 6 speed manual, did quite well.

Tuner in Training
    I understand the ol butt Dyno is pretty inaccurate, but the engine seems so much smoother and faster off the line. The biggest things I lost with the smarty was my truck pretty much falls on its face around 2k now. My wot run is nothing compared to the smarty. But honestly the way I drive my truck, dyno numbers and wide open pulls don’t interest me much.

Advanced Tuner
    The butt dyno is highly inaccurate lol. The smarty jr holds nothing against the s06 or touch either, very little adjustable with it, I don?t get why the still even make it lol. If you download their UDC software, UDC not UDC Pro RT, you can view some demo tunes that are a rough and close presentation of the timing, rp and pulsewidth they do, of course you can?t see the limiters they adjust. But if you look, even if you data log and compare against a stock tune data log, low to high commanded fuel in the low to mid rpm range is basically stock in all Smarty tunes.

Tuner in Training
    06ram2500smartyinstalled.hpt

here is the smarty S06 ( full version ) file i extracted from an 06 ram 2500, setting 9. kinda crazy what they got away with back then.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Dicus View Post
    06ram2500smartyinstalled.hpt

here is the smarty S06 ( full version ) file i extracted from an 06 ram 2500, setting 9. kinda crazy what they got away with back then.
    Holy wow wow wow, I'm not a dodge guy but that looks like pretty poor fueling control. It's almost setup like a light switch for fueling, on or off no in-between lol. I'd love to see a stock file, Do you have stock 06 ram file by chance?

Tuner in Training

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Dicus View Post