Thread: Swapping ECM's in a Cobalt

Tuner in Training

Swapping ECM's in a Cobalt

A number of people have been asking me if it would be possible to swap out the E16 ECM on 2005-06 L61 Cobalts to ANY other unit that can be supported right away with HP Tuners. I just plain don't the answer, but it seems at least initially possible. I can easily obtain pin-out diagrams and harness for making the correct electrical connections. It's weather or not you can flash a Cobalt CAL file into a different ECM and have that ECM be able to operate the program is the part I'm not sure about.

For instance, if I could take the new E37 from the 2007 Cobalt (or any other ECM that would work) and have it flashed with a 2005 CAL file, and then of course make the correct harness, would it work?

IFAIK there will be no way to put the 2005 cal file into the E37. BUT if you replaced your crankshaft with the 2007 58X version and THEN convert it all over to the new Coil On Plug ignition it MIGHT be possible to run the 2007 E37 2.2 software- BUT THEN you STILL wont have HPT support (at least at this time).

So maybe if you used the E67 from a 2005 2.4 and converted it all to COP (still requires a crankshaft and CKP change besides the individual coil packs) it could be made to work.There may be some VATS issues to work out though if you use a 2006 ECM (Remember the VATS is different on a 2006 as it changed from Passlock to Passkey 3+)

Feel free to PM me if you need schematics or anything
    Wop

Advanced Tuner
    The operating system from the Cobalt will not work on another car. We have tried it on a Saturn, and we were screwed for 4 hours while trying to recover the car's vcm.

I would advise against it. Best bet is to copy paste things from one OS to the other.