Thread: MAP vs Timing Advance, something wierd?

Advanced Tuner

MAP vs Timing Advance, something wierd?

Well my cat finnaly clogged it self up.. so I made a free flowing cat. So now that I'm actually getting the exhaust out (cat has been going since march just past couple weeks the car actually would slow down when I would put the gas pedal down) I decided to start logging again and seeing what else is going on that I could fix. Well I looked over my last scan, and I wanted to pay attention to the timing advance and knock retard to see where it's at, and I noticed whenever the MAP sensor read higher, timing advance dropped in equal amount. Now I was wondering is this normal, if not what could be the cause, and after that what would be the best way to attack that area.

It seems now that the exhaust is breathing through again I noticed I lost alot of my knock retard problems, still have a tiny bit but much less then I used to get. Is there anything I could do to get rid of the last bit? It seems to happen when I initially open up the throttle beyond 30%, but as soon as I get a little blip it doesn't show back up till later on on a later throttle tap.

Thanks in advanced!
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon

Advanced Tuner
    Noone can help me out? I need to know why this is happening or if it's normal. Also need to find out why I'm seeing KR at only 700-1000 rpm range at .50-.70 air cylinder mass, and it's high KR up to 15*...
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon

Tuner in Training
    Im not expert but i looked at it a few times and the only KR i am seeing is like .4 and that could be burst KR. i didnt see 15*
    06' Black Cobalt SS/SC with G85 performance package / LSD
    VA Street Legal Tint
    DC Strut Bar
    K&N CAI
    GM Stage 2
    GMPP Full Exhaust (Manifold, Catback Performance)
    NGK BKR7E's

"I dont race i just get to speed limit as fast as i can"

It is normal to have less spark timing at higher map kpa. Higher map kpa = more load.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    So the more load the more timing is being pulled? I understand in a sense, in WOT I would think there should be MORE advance lol, and the KR I'm seeing for SOME reason didn't show in that scan, but every other scan I have, before and after, show it. I'll upload it in a second when I get on laptop. Thanks!
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Julex
    So the more load the more timing is being pulled?
    The more load the less timing is being advanced (don't think of it as being pulled unless your seeing KR, in which case the KR is how much is being pulled). I can't view the log from work, but what is your timing advance at WOT through the powerband? I've seen most GM SC'd cars running around 14 degrees full advance, so expect it to be less than on an NA car.

Advanced Tuner
    hmm, I'll have to look. but I thought the more load the more timing advance (to a certain point till I make the right amount of horses I guess.)
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon