Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Cold air intake tune changes, Need advice

  1. #1
    Potential Tuner
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    1

    Cold air intake tune changes, Need advice

    I am somewhat new to tuning and by that I mean I have only messed with the fuel such as PE, Cut off, ETC. Anyways, I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado with a 5.3 LC9 motor with AFM. I recently installed a K&N cold air intake and a Volant Throttle body spacer with the stock MAF. I am wondering if I need to change anything with the airflow or MAF? Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Advanced Tuner
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    396
    You'll need to give us a datalog in order for us to know the answer.

  3. #3
    Advanced Tuner mbray01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Slidell, La.
    Posts
    870
    My best advise is to throw that k&n hot air filter into the garbage, and get a true cold air intake. As for changes, most of the systems designed for trucks use the same size tube for the maf, so very minimal changes, if any are needed to compensate for the intakes
    Michael Bray
    Rusty Knuckle Garage
    Slidell, Louisiana
    20yr Master Tech.
    Advanced Level Specialist
    Custom Car Fabrication, Customization, High Performance.
    GM World Class Technician
    Shop Owner

  4. #4
    Tuning Addict 5FDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rogers, MN
    Posts
    9,806
    I'd say it needs almost no changes when just adding an intake.

    The throttle body spacer is a waste unless it's used at a NOS plate.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

  5. #5
    Tuner 00GrcyGtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Westfield, IN
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by mbray01 View Post
    My best advise is to throw that k&n hot air filter into the garbage, and get a true cold air intake. As for changes, most of the systems designed for trucks use the same size tube for the maf, so very minimal changes, if any are needed to compensate for the intakes
    So the K&N CIA kits are junk then? What do you consider a "true cold air intake" ?
    There are so many, never hurts to ask one who knows what's best!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

    "To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
    2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

  6. #6
    Advanced Tuner mbray01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Slidell, La.
    Posts
    870
    Volant, corsa, airaid(with a sealed box), s&b, afe(with sealed box). Basically anything with the sealed box, if it has a piece of sheet metal and a rinky hood seal, it is worthless.

    Personally im a fan of the s&b line
    Michael Bray
    Rusty Knuckle Garage
    Slidell, Louisiana
    20yr Master Tech.
    Advanced Level Specialist
    Custom Car Fabrication, Customization, High Performance.
    GM World Class Technician
    Shop Owner

  7. #7
    Advanced Tuner mbray01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Slidell, La.
    Posts
    870
    Airaid even makes a drop in filter and high flow elbow that uses the factory air box, for about $200. This honestly is a really good setup
    Michael Bray
    Rusty Knuckle Garage
    Slidell, Louisiana
    20yr Master Tech.
    Advanced Level Specialist
    Custom Car Fabrication, Customization, High Performance.
    GM World Class Technician
    Shop Owner

  8. #8
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by mbray01 View Post
    Airaid even makes a drop in filter and high flow elbow that uses the factory air box, for about $200. This honestly is a really good setup
    I agree. This is the way I try to sway most people. The stock airbox with a couple 2" holes cut in the bottom to allow air from the fender-well in makes for a very nice and cheap upgrade. I see intake air temps within 2?F of ambient with mine modded like this.

  9. #9
    Tuner 00GrcyGtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Westfield, IN
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by mbray01 View Post
    Airaid even makes a drop in filter and high flow elbow that uses the factory air box, for about $200. This honestly is a really good setup
    So the stock box on a Trailblazer SS isn't so bad if done right? I gutted and modded the one on my W body Regal to suck air from the inner fender and it was great. I can almost see something similar on my TBSS. Difference being, the TBSS doesn't need gutting.

    I SO TOTALLY agree with that silly looking sheet metal crap, with what we have built in the past, they could do SO much better at making something.

    So is the K&N filter itself any better or worse than a couple of the others?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

    "To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
    2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

  10. #10
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by 00GrcyGtr View Post
    So the stock box on a Trailblazer SS isn't so bad if done right? I gutted and modded the one on my W body Regal to suck air from the inner fender and it was great. I can almost see something similar on my TBSS. Difference being, the TBSS doesn't need gutting.

    I SO TOTALLY agree with that silly looking sheet metal crap, with what we have built in the past, they could do SO much better at making something.

    So is the K&N filter itself any better or worse than a couple of the others?
    It's not really any better. I like to see dry filters on cars/trucks that have a MAF sensor still as the oil can and will cause issues with the sensor reading as the oil ends up on the filament.