Thread: L83 fuel limitations?

Tuner in Training

L83 fuel limitations?

I have an L83 with a TSP cam +32 fuel lobe and just installed a turbo. Today I did my first pull and rail pressure dropped very fast at 5psi on e70. Anyone tune a boosted L83 on ethanol that knows what the hpfp should support? Just trying to determine if I need to replace the intank pump. Fuel pressure just dropped so fast, I am leaning towards the in tank pump. Log attached. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    You're gonna have to at least up grade to LT1 injectors and install a low side aux fuel pump.
    2023 Ford Maverick 2.0T AWD

Tuner in Training
    Maybe I'll need injectors, but I don't think rail pressure would drop because the injectors are too small.

I think you were at the limit of the injectors before the turbo anyway. I always thought anything over 5.5-6ms was pushing it and you are way up around 8-9ms.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Ok. I'll look into injectors too. I think the pulse width increased a lot more because the rail pressure dropped though too. How high can I go with the rail pressure?

Advanced Tuner
    I had an L83 truck. I was out of injector/fuel with bolt-ons and E85.

Tuner
    It could be that your low pressure pump ran out first, but the injectors are likely undersized too. Interesting that your log isn't showing the pressure for the lift pump, I can log both commanded and actual low side fuel pressure on my 2014 Silverado E92. If you could do that then you would know for sure. I have the LT1 pump and injectors and my low side drops to 40 psi on E50, so I am going to upgrade the pump with a Hellcat pump.
    2014 Silverado L83 | Knockoff S369 Turbo | LT1 Fuel Pump and Injectors | MAST L84 Port Intake | MS3Pro Secondary Fuel Computer

Tuner in Training
    Ha! I put in the 525 pump this weekend. Problem solved.

I swapped the L83 into a Solstice and I was using the stock Solstice lift pump. I dont have the truck lift pump controller or a lowside gauge so I cant see pressure. It is just wired key on and using stock Solstice regulator at about 74psi.

The L83 hpfp is keeping up fine with the TSP fuel lobe, just the injectors to address at some point I guess. I hit 10psi last night and IPW was in the 8s again on e40. Lowered boost to 5psi today and that still makes the car plenty quick for now.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gxp1 View Post
    Ha! I put in the 525 pump this weekend. Problem solved.

I swapped the L83 into a Solstice and I was using the stock Solstice lift pump. I dont have the truck lift pump controller or a lowside gauge so I cant see pressure. It is just wired key on and using stock Solstice regulator at about 74psi.

The L83 hpfp is keeping up fine with the TSP fuel lobe, just the injectors to address at some point I guess. I hit 10psi last night and IPW was in the 8s again on e40. Lowered boost to 5psi today and that still makes the car plenty quick for now.
    Might as well get LT4 injectors so you don't spend the money twice.

Quote Originally Posted by gxp1 View Post
    I have an L83 with a TSP cam +32 fuel lobe and just installed a turbo. Today I did my first pull and rail pressure dropped very fast at 5psi on e70. Anyone tune a boosted L83 on ethanol that knows what the hpfp should support? Just trying to determine if I need to replace the intank pump. Fuel pressure just dropped so fast, I am leaning towards the in tank pump. Log attached. Thanks.
    I have a LT4 supercharger for my L83 Silverado and was wanting to know if you Gapped your rings or not. I think I will be fine with 8-10 psi as long as I have a good tune but just wanted to see if you did yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Jabercrombie View Post
    I have a LT4 supercharger for my L83 Silverado and was wanting to know if you Gapped your rings or not. I think I will be fine with 8-10 psi as long as I have a good tune but just wanted to see if you did yours?
    No need to gap the rings for that boost level (power level specifically).
    Most of us had good luck with stock gap in supercharger setups producing 650whp with a good camshaft kit.

Tuner in Training
    I did not gap rings. I'm just running a cam, springs and ported heads.