Thread: 2024 Ford Maverick overboost or throttle limited at 85-95 mph

2024 Ford Maverick 2.0 w/overboost or throttle limited at 85-95 mph

Re-2024 2.0L Ecoboost. So I have a Tune running 93, when I reach top end of power band around 85-90 the throttle momentarily shuts down with pedal completely down but then reopens. That was with turbo boost bumped up 2lbs. After wastegate sticking my Tuner friend slightly lowers the boost and it still happens momentarily from 90-95 mph keeping in mind the speed limiter is 109 ten returns to full throttle. I added an AFE Momentum CAI and Thermal R&D catback exhaust plus a Komp Duel port BOV Diverter and happens from 95-100. Improving it seems
    . Heres my ignorance as I try to explain?I have heard about the tp sensor near the intercooler closes the throttle plate once the ecu figures I am making too much power (something Ford designed to max the torque?) Something about a Ratio between the tp sensor at the intercooler and the tp sensor at the Intake. Oh when the Wastegate stuck one day I parked it and restarted it, drove with limited power ,parked then drove and parked. 3 cycles and it fortunately reset. Thats when the boost was slightly reduced by my tuner friend. I am just throwing out what I experienced. BTW my Maverick scan or Data is the one HP Tuners was sent to build the program for. I guess everyone since 2022 is buying Canned Tunes. I like this way better. Thanks in advance for helping. Remember I am not a Tuner but mechanically inclined and have enough knowledge to be dangerous (jkg?) I do have some understanding but couldn not make a living with what I know BTW I live in South Eastern US.
    Last edited by Boosted Maverick; 3 Days Ago at 01:17 PM.

Update 05/08/2024

This Rain threatening morning around 10:30 It ran perfect to 105 before I let off. I'm wondering if I was too Rich? IDK it's baffling so I better get a Data Log tomorrow then schedule a Dyno Run. Anyone with knowledge of this condition would be appreciate it. 2024 Ford 2.0L Ecoboost. Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    A free flowing exhaust can be enough alone to trip over post, you'll have to adjust the parameters in engine diag->air flow->over boost (I think) to either compensate for the added boost or adjust them to where you'll never hit them (basically disabling it).
    Throttle closures are normal and part of the pressure control, I wouldn't worry too much about that, unless it's completely closing it.
    Some logs and the tune file would be helpful in making further suggestions though.

Tuner
    A hopped up Maverick, that's really cool!!
    Are you running with the stock inner cooler?
    Most of the guys who modify Ecoboost Cars and Trucks, recommend replacing the factory intercooler! Our motors just don't like heat, as in hot intake air or high charge temperatures. This may be why you motor ran better on a rain theating morning...

Stock I/C's leave a lot to be desired once you start tuning them, even with tuning alone you really need to up grade the intercooler. High MCT's are a bad thing, you'll see a lot of spark pull due to knock.

Quote Originally Posted by Seishuku View Post
    A free flowing exhaust can be enough alone to trip over post, you'll have to adjust the parameters in engine diag->air flow->over boost (I think) to either compensate for the added boost or adjust them to where you'll never hit them (basically disabling it).
    Throttle closures are normal and part of the pressure control, I wouldn't worry too much about that, unless it's completely closing it.
    Some logs and the tune file would be helpful in making further suggestions though.
    Thanks, I have this in motion now.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Chaser View Post
    A hopped up Maverick, that's really cool!!
    Are you running with the stock inner cooler?
    Most of the guys who modify Ecoboost Cars and Trucks, recommend replacing the factory intercooler! Our motors just don't like heat, as in hot intake air or high charge temperatures. This may be why you motor ran better on a rain theating morning...
    I found a fmic from CVF Performance but there?s some serious cutting on the Tremor version of the Maverick. For increased approach angles Ford not only lifted it but they modified the front bumper by making it angle inwards towards the metal skid plate covering the oil pan so it has less room but it has been done. Ford also installed exposed tow hooks (see my profile pic) . CVF kit has been fitted though I don’t think it’s a clean install so I?m going to RM Performance to show them the IC kit and video plus pics of the install and an honest assessment from them. I may have to go with Water Meth injection but I like the IC Better ?decisions lol
    Last edited by Boosted Maverick; 3 Days Ago at 08:50 PM.

Tuner
    Water/Meth injection is an option for reducing intake and and charge temperatures. I haven't personally used W/M injection, but I know several people who have added an injection system to thier thottle body via a spacer with an access port. This seems to work well when the ECU collects primary temperature data from a map/mapt sensor.
    As for fitting a non-oem intercooler, I had to do some modification/fabrication to fit an intercooler from an F-150 into my Mustang, I recommend researching the aftermarket for high performance direct fit Intercoolers.

Keep us posted, it sounds like a really cool project!
    Last edited by Coyote Chaser; 2 Days Ago at 10:30 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    We exist lol.

I have a 2023 2.0T AWD lariat with a custom 4" intake, 3" cat back straight pipe and tuned on E40. Dragys a 13.5@102 so far!
    2023 Ford Maverick 2.0T AWD

I'll see about 10 degrees below ambient if I'm really spraying it on my Fusion Sport under a really hard pull

Awesome, those are great #?s. People don?t realize how fun these ?Truckettes? really are. Yes they are Unibody based of Car/Crossover SUV but they very capable and well engineered for example it?s very roomy for big and tall people, bed cargo area has so many hacks for carrying lumber etc. it handles well and rides smooth. I watched JCR Off-road on YouTube mount complete undercarriage armor like plating. The inner chassis is constructed with Nickel Boron Steel and so on.

I bet its fast

Tuner
    Awesome!