Thread: Read/write 2005 C6 manual

Tuner in Training

Read/write 2005 C6 manual

Long time lurker here, not necessarily newb to tuning though. I am having trouble when I try to read/write a friend's 2005 C6 with an MTI 427 package. Friend bought HPT to tune this beast and all I can do is scan it. When it comes to reading/writing there is this error message about not able to license or some such nonsense. This car is the typical "push button" start setup but I don't think this is the problem. The car has been tuned with LS1Edit both by MTI and LGMotorsports with no problem. Now it is our turn and I can't get anything but a scan. Is "tuner lock" a myth or is it really possible that one of the forementioned tuners could have locked the pcm, not allowing any changes by anyone else? Are there any ways around a lock out situation or is there something else that may be prohibiting a read/write of the pcm in this animal? Since I can scan, I don't think I have a cable problem? Anybody have a similar experience or any clues to curing this problem? Thanks.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    its definitly possible that its tunerlocked...if its locked its locked you would need to take it back to that tuner to get it unlocked.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Definitely a Carputing (EDIT) issue. I had an 06 Vette that I couldn't read that was tuned with Edit as well. Replaced the PCM to get the car on the road again.

Apparently, if you ship the ECM to EDIT *they* can unlock it for you. (Add $50 with the ECM for this "service"...)
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    This is just amazing me. Neither MTI or LGM says they locked the program. One even called an Edit engineer who could not help. But I can send the ECM to edit and for a price they will "unlock" it. I think instead we will have our local chevy dealer reflash it (the service guy is a friend) and I will start on the tune from scratch, thus blowing out everything that has been done to the tune (and paid to have done) with EDIT. What a crock......

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I don't think the chevy dealer will have any luck either

I've been to "write entire" over a Lengenfelter C5 Stage 1 car, but unfortunately, I could never download the program that was in the car. They do lock their tunes. Just got to find a stock file and start from there.

Mike
    Have a few thousand files I can share. I'm not on here often so please email me. [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Well the search went on. I contacted Edit and sure enough, if I go back to either shop and let them throw a stock tune back in I will be good to go, supposedly. In other words throw out all the tuning I have paid for and start from fresh just because I don't own the other software. Now that I have vented a little, it's off to find a stock tune and start tuning the beast once again. And by the way, does HPT do the same thing? Just curious.

Guy

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySS
    does HPT do the same thing?
    does what? lock every tune? no, by default it is set NOT to lock any tunes...only the person behind the keyboard can do that...and at that they'd need to do a full write rather then just the partial write.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for that answer. I was hoping to hear that it was the programmer's decision to lock or unlock. It makes me feel even that much better about HPT, not that I had any problems before.

Cheers, Guy

IIRC HPT doesn't lock any LS2 PCM. Not even an option to lock an LS2/LS7
    Always Support Our Troops!