Thread: Assistance with Trimming or Cutting Data Log

Assistance with Trimming or Cutting Data Log

Hello,
    I have exported my data log to CSV. I would like to remove the first 6 minutes of data. What I did do was delete all channel information from 0 to the 6 minute mark. This didn't work as opening within VCM Scanner showed no channels and no data.

Secondly, I retimed all remaining lines from 0 until last and same result.

Is anybody familiar with the proper technique to trim the first 6min of my CSV which allows for opening as normal?

I did leave all header information and channel locations as part of the header.

Tuner in Training
    Its alot easier than you are making it...

- Open your log in VCM Scanner, zoom into just the section you want to keep.
    - Click "Log File>Export Log File"
    - Use the "Visible Range" option.

Give that a shot!
    2018 Camaro 2SS A8 Redline Edition

the zoom function doesn't allow me to cut off a specific portion and retain the rest. some of my data logs are over 1 hour long.
    Last edited by hachiroku; 10-15-2020 at 04:05 AM.

This would be a nice feature. I find that when in the staging lanes I set it and forget it. It would be nice to trim out data that doesn't really belong from a full run from the tree to shut down. I tried to export it as excel and trim out the values but if the excel doesn't start at time 0 it fails to load the log. There are a couple of ways in the UI that this could be achieved

1.) create a prompt to allow use to create a custom zoom time and that way we can slide it around at the bottom and achieve a slice
    2.) allow use to select via a mouse action in the chart vs time window (probably more work).

This would be super useful.
    Hellcat PB > ET: 10.092, MPH: 135.650, 60': 1.492, R/T: .000
    Bone Stock Scat Pack PB > ET: 11.612, MPH: 119.52, 60': 1.634, R/T: .000 (gone but not forgotten).

https://youtube.com/user/fumanchu182

Tuner in Training
    I still dont see why you cant just zoom around the time frame you want the log to be trimmed to and export that as a new log?
    2018 Camaro 2SS A8 Redline Edition

use excel to cut what ever you want

Quote Originally Posted by BDPhoto519 View Post
    I still dont see why you cant just zoom around the time frame you want the log to be trimmed to and export that as a new log?
    Zoom only allows the following granularity: 1s, 2s, 5s, 10s, 30s, 1m... etc... What if I only want 15 seconds of a log? Can't do it, would have to scope out to 30s and potentially include data that is not relevant. Hurts in the Average calculation as we are including data we don't want. Is there a UI element I missed that allows you to soom into an exact range? The +/- keys only use the values that are pre-set.
    Bone Stock Scat Pack PB > ET: 11.612, MPH: 119.52, 60': 1.634, R/T: .000 (gone but not forgotten).

Quote Originally Posted by malikib View Post
    use excel to cut what ever you want
    Here is an excel file that exported and also the file I edited. I load it into the program and get an empty UI. All I did was delete rows prior to the vehicle moving. If you can get the edited version to load please let me know how.

test_export_log_edited.csv
    test_export_log.csv

The UI wigs out, here is my screenshot:
    bad_ui.jpg

yeah...same here...when i edit the csv log removing the beginning 5 minutes...doesn't matter if i retime it all or reuse the time column...VCM Scanner doesn't like it. the problem isn't that we can't edit in excel and import into another app like datazap...the problem is i would like to reimport it back into VCM Scanner so I can apply my filters and calculations.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by fumanchu182 View Post
    Here is an excel file that exported and also the file I edited. I load it into the program and get an empty UI. All I did was delete rows prior to the vehicle moving. If you can get the edited version to load please let me know how.

test_export_log_edited.csv
    test_export_log.csv

The UI wigs out, here is my screenshot:
    bad_ui.jpg
    Here is a screenshot of your edited file
    1.PNG
    __________________________________________________ _______
    Unless someone can find a better way, the long way I go about it is to...

1. Open the exported csv in excel, do your edits, close and save.
    2. Then download and install Notepad++ and open the csv file. (You can also do this in Windows Notepad but it takes ages with a big log)
    3. 1.PNG
    4. In the first line double click over the commas so that it selects them all.
    5. Press Ctrl+F and hit the replace tab
    6. The select replace all.
    7. 1.PNG
    8. Save and close.
    9. Open with VCM Scanner. Perfect

Advanced tip:
    If your handy you can also create your own custom column(s) and give them an unused parameter id, name and unit which you can then use in your graphs and charts. For example I was looking at my MAF vs airflow mode table to determine what airflow mode cell I was in so I could look at adjusting O2 sensor settings. To do this I created a custom excel lookup bla bla bla... Long story short it spat out the airflow mode for each row of data. Then I named the air flow mode column as unused parameter [99 Absolute Load (SAE) Nm] which allowed it to be displayed in the scanner and form part of further filtering.