Thread: Total newbe need help

Total newbe need help

Hi I am totally new to this tuning but I want to learn. My son and I hooked up the tuner and wanted to do some diagnostics to try and see where to start. We couldn't get all the gages to display to even tell what the coolant temp was and only 1 O2 sensor is displaying, how do you get all the gages to display in the diagnostics page ? I tried to search on here and couldn't seem to get the right words for the search to show threads of what I want ☹️

First things first is when you plug the device into the OBD2 port and start the VCM scanner you should click connect to the vehicle and then click the vehicle tab at the top and click re-poll for supported parameters. That will let it figure out what things you can log on that controller.

Then the giant channels list is going to be on the left hand side. All of the channels you want to view must be listed in there otherwise it will not report data when you start recording a data log.

If for some reason the coolant temp or an o2 sensor channel is missing you need to right click a blank box and add the channel there. The gauges, charts, graphs can all be configured to show anything that is being logged in the channels list. It just takes time to figure out the layout you want.

The forum (use keywords in google + hp tuners and that helps sometimes) and youtube video's are the best help.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

The old help file on pre v3.0 HPT was an outstanding guide full of little gems that I went 10 odd years not knowing, but if you can find it is less relevant as software has moved on, but principles haven't. The current help files for Editor and Scanner are where I'd recommend you start. I know most of us aren't inclined to read 'instructions' but in this case I think it is worth it. Then reach out with more specific questions after you've had a bit of trial and error scanning etc.

Thank you, I wanted to make sure of some of the basics like weather the sensors were reporting correctly to the ecm before I tried anything and got stuck trying to get the gages to display so I could do that. I could only see one O2 and no coolant temp etc.