Thread: Question about the smoothing graph (interpolation)

Tuner in Training

Question Question about the smoothing graph (interpolation)

I'm presently working on my VVE table on my truck. This is the first time I do this. From videos and reading ....the VE does take a while , possibly a couple of weeks to tweak it just right. My question is...when I multiply % by half and start the interpolation inside the VVE table... do you guys wait 'til you're almost dialed in (finished product) before you smooth out the table using the chart interpolation? Or should smoothing out the table be done everything time after you tweak the numbers in the chart and load the new update/step?
    I guess what I'm trying to get at....what do you consider the smoothest method (tips/suggestions) to dial in the numbers?

I don't know why it would take you a couple of weeks, unless you only make one run per day or two. If I do the %half method, there are always spikes in the VE table. First thing is to go to 3D view and manually move the spikes in line with the rest of the graph. Then hit smooth--you can do it twice if needed. Then do another run and same thing over again. If you only need changes in a certain rpm area, just modify that area and smooth it out. If this is a stock truck, it should be fairly close already.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    There is a little thing called "the honey do" list that tends to get in my way and I work long hours during the week , so my time is limited most weekdays. The truck has a new summit cam 8718, so the numbers are off. This weekend I tried a couple of of tunes, but I'm having a little difficulty narrowing it down. I'm chalking it up to inexperience. As long as I'm running a little rich and no flaming reds come out... I'm ok with taking my time. It's just that a couple of tunes came out weird and I had to back track to previous tunes. As soon as I started the truck and saw a couple of blazing reds... I immediately shut it off. I went back to the previous saved and started over. Just wanted to see how some of you guys approach this part in case I'm doing something silly that is making me jump to extra hoops. thank you for the response.
    J.....

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    First thing is to go to 3D view and manually move the spikes in line with the rest of the graph. Then hit smooth--you can do it twice if needed. Then do another run and same thing over again. If you only need changes in a certain rpm area, just modify that area and smooth it out. If this is a stock truck, it should be fairly close already.
    This is what I was looking for.

Edit: Brah!!!! I can't thank you enough for that tip. You just cut down my tuning to a third of time of what I thought I was going to have to do.

I also figured out or noticed something. One of my issues for tuning was that as soon as the truck fired up.....the AEM 02 wideband was reading lean. I thought that was a major issue , so I would shut off the truck and load the previous tune thinking I f'd up the tune. Now that I'm starting to get a little more comfortable with the tuning... I'm seeing that after warming up.... the values slowly change and come into the green more. My histogram goes almost fully green hanging around -1 to -3.
    I believe it's the sensor warming up , clearing the crud, and coming up to temp to give the correct readings. I guess I have to be a little patient and wait for the warm up, before i start to see the correct numbers . Is this something normal and I was just too quick on the trigger as far as shutting down the engine?
    Last edited by Jquest; 11-10-2020 at 08:37 PM.

LOL, Yep honey do list will slow you down everytime.
    When you load a modified tune, it takes a few minutes for the fuel trims to respond. You can shorten that time by opening the scanner---turn the key to ON--select connect to vehicle-- select special functions--fuel--reset fuel trims--then crank it. It still will be off a little until it gets up to temp and stft's kick in. You may need to adjust your ve table and maf in the idle area. Depends on what the fuel trims say---or your wideband.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8