Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.7L Cummins Swap - Can HPTuners Eliminate EGR and DPF Algorithms?

6.7L Cummins Swap - Can HPTuners Eliminate EGR and DPF Algorithms?

Working on a 2007 6.7L Cummins swap to a vintage truck and plan to eliminate the DPF and EGR. Will HPTuners software allow me to disable EGR and DPF algorithms to allow the engine to run properly and not have associated leftover codes?

Thanks in advance

With user defined parameters yes

And user defined parameters alone won?t just make everything appear to turn things off either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    With user defined parameters yes
    Thanks, Jim. I had to do some searching on "user defined paramaters" to understand them a bit more.

The manufacturer index list for TunerPro doesn't include Dodge, Ram, or Cummins as far as I can tell. Am I missing them somewhere?
    http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadBinDefs.htm

Thanks

... and a couple more questions.

1) Will I need to have MPVI2 for user defined parameters? I still have my old MPVI.

2) The explanation page indicates "The User Defined Parameters feature can be purchased by logging into your customer page and purchasing the one-time feature unlock for $169.99". I can't find this option on my customer page (I am logged in to my interface account on hptuners.com)?

Thanks
    Last edited by Backside180; 01-06-2021 at 11:08 AM.

You?ll need to research some more, tunerpro is only used to create .xdf files, the files hp tuners uses for user defined parameters. Tunerpro isn?t used to connect to and read or write to your ECM.

There is a lot more to user defined parameters than you think.

Believe with these trucks you need the MPVI2.

I signed in to my user account on hptuners.com and was able to purchase.

This is what a parameter looks like in TunerPro.

xdf picture.png

You use TunerPro to create access to a parameter and need to enter information.

create parameter.png

This is a sample of what it looks like in the xdf file.

xdf sample.png

You?ll need to research some more, tunerpro is only used to create .xdf files, the files hp tuners uses for user defined parameters. Tunerpro isn?t used to connect to and read or write to your ECM.

There is a lot more to user defined parameters than you think.

Believe with these trucks you need the MPVI2.

I signed in to my user account on hptuners.com and was able to purchase.
    Thanks, Jim.

Yeah... from what I understand so far, digging into these parameters doesn't look straight forward. I understand TunerPro doesn't interact with the ECU directly, but I was thinking I would at least need a *.xdf file from the repository to get going to try to find the Cummins parameters I might need?

I may go this route, but it looks like it might be a multi-week week derailment and learning experience for what I was hoping was something a bit more straight forward! I have plenty of other fabrication and wiring work to do with this build.

If you can see the upgrade in your account, then it probably confirms I need the MPVI2 first before I will be able to purchase/enable.

If anyone else reading this has experience with the user defined parameters on the Cummins I would be open to more insight on how complex this will have to be.

I work with user defined parameters near everyday on all common rail cummins, it?s not a simple straightforward process. Lots of work and time involved making them.

EFILive straight up has everything you need to disable emissions for the 2007.5-2009 model years, just more costly but also have the ability for CSP tuning.

The repository doesn?t contain xdf files.

I work with user defined parameters near everyday on all common rail cummins, it?s not a simple straightforward process. Lots of work and time involved making them.

EFILive straight up has everything you need to disable emissions for the 2007.5-2009 model years, just more costly but also have the ability for CSP tuning.

The repository doesn?t contain xdf files.
    Thanks for confirmation of the complexity, Jim. I will look at other alternatives...

Potential Tuner
    I am interested in getting a copy of 2016 CM2350B XDF files if anyone is up to helping me along my learning adventure. I am already commited to using HPT for my 6.7. Many thanks.

Potential Tuner
    Same here. I would contribute to someone's diligent effort to create a XDF for the masses

Doubt anyone would be willing to do that

If you download the WinOLS demo, I send the a2l winols project to you, you delete all the files from it you don't need, and send the winols project back to me, I can send you an .xdf. ...If i can find the correct bin, but I think I have most of them.
    Last edited by jr2185; 1 Week Ago at 01:00 PM.

This might piss some people off but for those interested this should be everything you need if you have the OS 32370631AH/32.16.05.00 but if you have a different one then data will be in different location. If HPT didn't do codes on these this will NOT be a solution for those. The binary shared lines up with how XDF is currently configured, but all data locations will be offset from what I shared in XDF I made VS HPTuners. When opened in HPT OFFSET WILL BE WRONG. I don't have a HPT 13+ Cummins read to figure offset out that HPT used on these but Enjoy, But if you brick your ECM it's not mine or HPT's fault as you are messing with things outside your scope of knowledge. Keep in mind if you make just one single bit change outside of a good data area you can EASILY turn you $3000 ECM into a paper weight. Another hint NOT all params I did in this is necessary to be changed. Depending on how you do it, it should get you a good start. This is all a puzzle and without some expensive Binary tools and access to good tools like WinOLS and it's plugins I will be extremely surprised if anyone on here is successful in pulling this off.

https://mega.nz/folder/9zJ0GbpQ#1EKpveFSDA_jQohd_SluMA

That is high risk as someone with a different operating system of the same year and same transmission can and will have parameters in different locations, then if you start talking different model years, different transmissions, regular pickup or cab and chassis? things just aren?t that simple to take one specific operating system and roll with it for all operating systems and even presenting that with a warning to others here whom mostly have extremely limited knowledge or no knowledge about tuning or working in binary is kind of ignorant and dangerous to others as lots would just grab it regardless of warnings and limited or no knowledge or experience and likely damage their vehicles from it. Just my opinion. A cab and chassis looks nothing like a regular pickup when you are looking at the hex, parameters can be in completely different sections of the binary from model year to model year or even from operating system to operating system of the same year?

That is high risk as someone with a different operating system of the same year and same transmission can and will have parameters in different locations, then if you start talking different model years, different transmissions, regular pickup or cab and chassis? things just aren?t that simple to take one specific operating system and roll with it for all operating systems and even presenting that with a warning to others here whom mostly have extremely limited knowledge or no knowledge about tuning or working in binary is kind of ignorant and dangerous to others as lots would just grab it regardless of warnings and limited or no knowledge or experience and likely damage their vehicles from it. Just my opinion. A cab and chassis looks nothing like a regular pickup when you are looking at the hex, parameters can be in completely different sections of the binary from model year to model year or even from operating system to operating system of the same year?
    I know it's a risk but honestly I'm kind of sick of seeing people on here that think this is something they can learn in a week/month/year and be successfull with it. If there is someone with enough determination they could easily figure it out from what I posted but it's gonna cost them thousands of dollars to learn that knowledge and possibly a couple ECM's if they are ignorant. With the way the world is going none of us can do this much longer anyways. Why not educate the general public if they have the capacity to receive it? 99.99 Percent of people that download the link I posted will realize they are way in over their head and do nothing with it and just go buy a proven file from one of us that knows what we are doing. I think people look at a device for 300 dollars and credits for 100 thinking they can figure it out but they don't realize it would be WAY cheaper and faster to just pay someone with ability to already do this even if it costs another thousand as they will probably be close to 10k or more without serious help from someone else to accomplish this. If they want to learn the hard way bricking ECM's or whatever else it costs them, then let them. The United States could use a few warning labels be removed from things anyways and let nature take it's course.
    Last edited by Orange Stroker; 1 Week Ago at 11:57 AM.

The cheap price is what drives people to HPT for sure but most of those people end up wanting peoples golden tunes for free once they realize what it really takes to develop a solid tune and do the forbidden on the newer trucks. There are some that are determined to stick through with researching and learning though. The information to go in the right direction isn?t overly difficult to find but it?s more than what most want to put in just to save a little bit of green and in my experience for the most part have demanded for my golden work for free.

Potential Tuner
    Need even more than WinOls, add IDA or Ghidra, a solid hex editor and some assembly knowledge into the starter pack Then add in de-obfuscation techniques, hash and decryption background and then move onward to each new ECU

I use HxD hex editor more than WinOLS, I?ve yet to feel inclined to pay for the cost of the full functional WinOLS. I don?t use IDA or Ghidra.