Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: 05 f350 tuning and injector advice

  1. #1
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    10

    05 f350 tuning and injector advice

    Im new to tuning and playing with my own truck before i dare touch anyone elses, at the moment ive got an 05 f350 6.0 powerstroke with arp studs, deleted, 4" exhaust with fass fuel system, stock injectors, stockish turbo (i built it from a bunch of spares at one point with an 05 housing, aftermarket 10 blade, and wicked wheel) but i doubt any of that makes any difference ive got another engine on the stand im refreshing with new rings, bearings, gaskets, seals, etc and i want to put new injectors in it on the way together. So question 1 is from a tuning point of view what injectors should i consider, stock is 135cc and im considering 155/0, 155/30, or 175/0 my truck weights about 9k pounds and i tow up to 10k often enough i dont wanna switch tunes much so my next question is how do i adjust timing maps, reading several forums ive read people say there is lots of room for timing but idk were the line is or how to tell if im near it, so far i have used timing maps from other tunes (mainly sct canned tow tune or canned performance tune) and ive been working on dropping the icp sensor back to stock levels and picking up injector pw from ficm and having trouble cleaning up all the smoke at initial heavy throttle from idle or light cruise

    I know this is a tuning forum and i dont expect much info for injector decision but cant hurt to ask, i plan to make a thread in powerstroke forum aswell as call a few injector companies about that part however parts like that are only as good as the tune written for it so you guys are my first stop

  2. #2
    I ran 170 injectors in my 06 it towed weekly and was fine, I had a bigger charger though. Ficm was tuned for the injectors with hp but the pcm was tuned with sct via custom tunes when it was on the dyno.

  3. #3
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Arlington WA
    Posts
    17
    Its going to come down to what your ultimate goal is with hp, torque and efficiency.. i can help you out with your tuning once you switch out to larger injectors. i sell sct tunes as well as hp tunes. took me 15 years of research and trial and error.. i use a chassis dyno so i can actually see what the numbers are.. your pw tables in the ficm are going to effect mileage. most of you tuning is going to be in the timing tables. i can help you out with a baseline of where to start so the truck runs correctly.

  4. #4
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerstrokecustoms View Post
    Its going to come down to what your ultimate goal is with hp, torque and efficiency.. i can help you out with your tuning once you switch out to larger injectors. i sell sct tunes as well as hp tunes. took me 15 years of research and trial and error.. i use a chassis dyno so i can actually see what the numbers are.. your pw tables in the ficm are going to effect mileage. most of you tuning is going to be in the timing tables. i can help you out with a baseline of where to start so the truck runs correctly.
    Ok thanks, as far as hp, torque, and economy i want all i can get but none is as important to me as others anymore, i enjoy racing cars even with trailer from light to light and have no self control with the skinny pedal but at the same time im tired of working on the truck over stupid stuff i did and tired of staring at single digit fuel economy on the dash, the few times ive checked the lieometer it was somewhat acurate at 9mpg and have ignored it since i started playing with hp tuner... so my answer to your question is whatever you consider a decent safe middle ground, anything beats my bone stock 99 24v cummins dually that got 11mpg from texas to oregon and back pulling a prius on a 20' trailer

  5. #5
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Arlington WA
    Posts
    17
    If your looking for a tow pig, 155/30's work great stock turboo or kc stage 1.. i have a f350 dually, 155/30 with powermax turbo.. my tow file i get 15mpg towing 14k.. street tune i get 17ish. now move up to 175/30 with same turbo. expect more power, you can still tow.. next step from there is 190/30 with kc stage 1.5 or stage 2, i have my excursion with this setup.. you will need regulated return to keep the fuel up. recommended on 175/30 as well.. i get 19-22 mpg. at this point your probably gunna want a beefier tranny.. triple lockup converter... i dont use hp tuner to tune my trucks i use sct.. the tables are pretty much the same but some are upside down so you have to be careful when converting. choose your setup and tuning will be a breeze from there.

  6. #6
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerstrokecustoms View Post
    If your looking for a tow pig, 155/30's work great stock turboo or kc stage 1.. i have a f350 dually, 155/30 with powermax turbo.. my tow file i get 15mpg towing 14k.. street tune i get 17ish. now move up to 175/30 with same turbo. expect more power, you can still tow.. next step from there is 190/30 with kc stage 1.5 or stage 2, i have my excursion with this setup.. you will need regulated return to keep the fuel up. recommended on 175/30 as well.. i get 19-22 mpg. at this point your probably gunna want a beefier tranny.. triple lockup converter... i dont use hp tuner to tune my trucks i use sct.. the tables are pretty much the same but some are upside down so you have to be careful when converting. choose your setup and tuning will be a breeze from there.
    Ive got a triple disc converter and aluminum pan (idk if i believe in the whole case structure arguement but i ate 2 trans in 3 months on the sct extreme tune at one point) i dont wanna spend money on a turbo with everything else im spending right now expecially since im kinda scared of the trucks reliability now, its been a headache since i bought it however its mostly from my lead foot and learning what parts are a waste such as aftermarket oil cooler and sinister double filter kit that blew the oil line that went from factory filter to amsoil filter when it was a few months old, so you would recommend 155/30? Injectors?

  7. #7
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Arlington WA
    Posts
    17
    155/30 pure power injectors would be my go to.. your only flowing 35cc more fuel. not extreme.. just gives you a little more bottom end for towing and your turbo will keep up fine..

  8. #8
    Potential Tuner
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Meridian CA
    Posts
    3
    OMG! 2 trannys in 3 months glad i read this Im new to this bought hptuners 6 months ago and a sct4 a few days ago cause the more and more i learn i realize the less i know havent got to play with sct yet cause im in the middle of headgaskets and studs im not gonna fuck with the extreme tune now thats for sure lol im contemplating bigger injectors while its apart i was looking at the 175/0 from warren diesel for 950 bucks or the 175/30 but that extra 400 bucks is my regulated return i dont tow shit its an 03 i lifted 8 inches on 37s

  9. #9
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    10
    Yeah when i did that the first trans was probably original with 300k and i gave it one too many boosted 4x4 launches on extreme and it gave up all but 1st, 2nd, and 3rd which i was fine with, once i got truck done i took pan off original and found the thick plastic gasket for valve body blew out but it had a good run and i had a trans i pulled from another truck that was supposed to be a fresh ford reman with low mileage just sitting a few years, i did the solenoids anyway because ive read about too many failures from them aswell as the valve body gaskets for preventative and i started actually using my livewires S.O.T.F. to keep it out of extreme except when acting dumb, thats when i learned the adaptive trans tables really didnt like that and took it out on clutches combined with still doing 4x4 launches which ate the second trans before my next oil change, the 3rd and current one got all the previous stuff aswell as john wood triple disc converter/billet input shaft, aswell as aluminum pan because i read alot about case flex causing oiling problems causing weak clutch pressure and figured it couldnt hurt

  10. #10
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    10
    Does your 155/30 truck smoke much, i enjoy blowing the doors off people with clean exhaust

  11. #11
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCRASH View Post
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerstrokecustoms View Post
    2
    Reading my posts i dont think it linked yall so instead of retyping i figured this was easier

  12. #12
    Potential Tuner
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Meridian CA
    Posts
    3
    lol i just had an issue with solenoids in my brothers 07 that hes tryn to sell atleast it looks like solenoids, no boosted launches just had issue with took a couple sec to go in drive, then other night i drove 60 miles on freeway and when i got off it would slip in and outta 1st barely made to my buddies house few blocks away so i had it towed back to my brothers house and advoided him for 3 days, lol i those boosted 4 wheel launches are alotta fun though, ive been daydreaming of having everything wrapped up by superbowl and run a very aggressive tune for one good run against my buddies new 13' corvette before it drops a valve, i know regardless how shitty he drives, just a few mods with a tune and maybe bigger injectors or even pull my nitrous kit off my camaro, wont stand a chance vs a cammed ls7, but it is fun to imagine a 5k dollar f350 wax a 45k small pecker trophy lol

  13. #13
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    42
    Your wasting time with 0% nozzle on a larger body injector. You gain no power due to not able to empty the barrel efficiently. Any larger body injector you'll need 30% nozzle.

    155 and 175 will drive just about the same as each other the 175 will make more power up top just as long as you have supporting mods.

  14. #14
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCRASH View Post
    lol i just had an issue with solenoids in my brothers 07 that hes tryn to sell atleast it looks like solenoids, no boosted launches just had issue with took a couple sec to go in drive, then other night i drove 60 miles on freeway and when i got off it would slip in and outta 1st barely made to my buddies house few blocks away so i had it towed back to my brothers house and advoided him for 3 days, lol i those boosted 4 wheel launches are alotta fun though, ive been daydreaming of having everything wrapped up by superbowl and run a very aggressive tune for one good run against my buddies new 13' corvette before it drops a valve, i know regardless how shitty he drives, just a few mods with a tune and maybe bigger injectors or even pull my nitrous kit off my camaro, wont stand a chance vs a cammed ls7, but it is fun to imagine a 5k dollar f350 wax a 45k small pecker trophy lol
    Yeah when mine blew the gasket it was slow to go into gear and i took that as a warning and got the other trans pulled, if i would have dropped pan and fixed gasket then it would probably have been fine but at the time i didn't know anything about them and was scared to change solenoids, which is why i pulled pan from original to check if i was actually gonna do it, solenoids were stupid simple, valve body gaskets werent bad, since ive gotten confident enough to rebuild shuttle trans in my backhoe

    And yeah i enjoy racing camaros and vettes off lights, i dont always win but 4x4 launch even from 1k rpms is a nice introduction that usually gets them to give it too much and spin which gives me enough gap to still be ahead when i let out a little over speed limit, but if they know how to drive im gonna lose but its only worth it to me if i can keep exhaust fairly clean, if your buddy has money in his engine then you definitely need to talk some $h!t first so he might make some mistakes

  15. #15
    Potential Tuner
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Meridian CA
    Posts
    3
    oh he will definitely fuck up regardless lol, but i gotta admit his car is nice its got the cali cam, msd atomic intake and custom tuned dynod right at 620hp with only 10k on the odometer but i think hes close to dropping a valve, but he dont listen thinks that popping i hear is just the vacuum controlled exhaust cutouts, so between valvetrain, shane being shane, and its also a stick car so my only biggest worry is him kicking his ass end out underneath my truck lol. his last vette was only a bone stock ls1 automatic he spun out into neighbors rod iron gates tryn to chase down his girl he was fighting with, she was hot really thou ill give him that

  16. #16
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCRASH View Post
    oh he will definitely fuck up regardless lol, but i gotta admit his car is nice its got the cali cam, msd atomic intake and custom tuned dynod right at 620hp with only 10k on the odometer but i think hes close to dropping a valve, but he dont listen thinks that popping i hear is just the vacuum controlled exhaust cutouts, so between valvetrain, shane being shane, and its also a stick car so my only biggest worry is him kicking his ass end out underneath my truck lol. his last vette was only a bone stock ls1 automatic he spun out into neighbors rod iron gates tryn to chase down his girl he was fighting with, she was hot really thou ill give him that
    Rofl, sounds like he should be driving a prius if he couldnt handle a stock auto vette, they handle decent on or off road even with a 4" lift and you definitely dont have to worry about it kicking out often, just avoid aggressive braking at high speeds in loose gravel or sand with street tires on rear