Thread: Going from 6.0 to 5.3

Tuner in Training

Going from 6.0 to 5.3

SBE Turbo lq4 - currently tuned on speed density (13* timing)

I want to have a 5.3 file so i can pretty much grab a junkyard engine, toss it inside the car, flash the file from 6.0 and 5.3 vise versa and make very little to no adjustments for it to run good.

I will swap everything over..... heads (has springs), cam, oil pump, etc

If i change the engine displacement in HP tuners, and given that the 6.0 is 13% larger than the 5.3, can i just pull 13% fuel and be in a ballpark or is that not how it works?

As for timing..... the compression ratio lq4 is 9.4:1 meanwhile the lm7 is 9.5:1..... so id assume that very little timing will have to come out. Could i back it off 2 degrees and work my way back up? Or am i completely wrong about this whole theory?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by wow; 02-23-2021 at 06:56 PM.

It's not going to be exactly that simple.

Change the cylinder volume and go back over the entire VE table with your wideband to get fueling correct everywhere. I can see timing adjustments needed in the low end and coming up into boost because of the smaller displacement.

I'm not sure why you'd want it to be a quick click click and done, it's far cheaper to spend 2-3 hours redoing some stuff than spending $1,000-2,000 on a new engine because it grenaded the block and took out other parts along with it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.