Thread: safe to adjust rpm scale?

Tuner in Training

safe to adjust rpm scale?

kind of a dumb question, but i have a 13 camaro (ls3+m6) and i was wondering if its safe and not stupid to adjust the rpm scales on the tables to reasonable amounts? for example most if not all tables that have rpm in an axis go from 0 to 8000 or 8192, usually. but also its WAY out of any rpm range i would ever visit and a waste of cells that could offer more resolution. so if i were to change EVERY singe table to the EXACT same scale with a more reasonable maximum, say 7250 or 7500 (since 7k is the max i would ever push this thing) and then reconfigure the tables to this new scale, would i end up detonating my engine or would it be alright?
    Last edited by daktah; 03-14-2021 at 01:34 PM.

Senior Tuner
    will be fine ive done that on mine, if u change one table they all update to the same then remember to change all your scanner tables also to the same scale for logging

You can, but I doubt the change will be worth the effort unless you have areas of your VE table that have large changes for some reason. The ECU automatically interpolates from cell to cell when it's between zones... for example, Say your RPM cells go from 1000 to 1500 rpm and your load scale shows 50 and 60 KPa, but the engine is at 55KPa and 1250 RPM. The ECU will average the data from those 4 cells to estimate the value it needs. So unless you have something strange going on, the extra resolution won't have any effect.
    Owner/Tuner@Evolution Automotive Performance
    Lincoln, Ne

Tuner in Training
    right i knew it interpolated and such, and no it runs fine. mostly i want to do this because it just annoys me when tuning that i have this big 5 column wide block of useless space and a waste to have your rpm value go to 9000 when the car does 6500 stock (just like the stupid 9k rpm tacho). its more of a personal issue than a technical one.