Thread: E92 fan control settings

Potential Tuner

E92 fan control settings

noob here, I have looked all over the forums and haven't found the info I need. I put a 160F thermostat in my 2019 suburban, and need to change my fans to work with the new stat. What is SWP no-flow, and ECT override limit? also there are settings under the fan tab that i can't find any info on to change to have the fans work with the new thermostat. I changed the mech thermostat to 160, but not sure what to put the rest of the settings at.

Tuner in Training
    What are the desired settings you are looking for? I mean what do you want the fans to do? What temp do you want the vehicle to run, not 160ish for daily driver?

Potential Tuner
    Absolutely I want it to run around 160 as a daily driver. I don't want to get into the reasons why and that whole debate. I just want to know how to set the fans for a different mechanical thermostat, especially since my stock tune shows that I have one fan, and it is PWM EV, and I have two electric fans. this is an entirely stock vehicle.

'Number of fans: 1' means that there is only one fan output pin in use. There can be multiple fans connected to that one signal wire, they just all will do the same thing at the same time. 'Number of fans: 2' would be using two separate output pins, each pin able to do its own thing. There is no point to multiple staged fan outputs with variable speed fans.

If you need fan activation lower than what the stock OS tables allow you will need to take control away from the ECM and use some type of standalone aftermarket fan controller with an output compatible with the stock brushless fans.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    If you need fan activation lower than what the stock OS tables allow you will need to take control away from the ECM and use some type of standalone aftermarket fan controller with an output compatible with the stock brushless fans.
    I've got one of these working in my personal vehicle, nicest part of the whole build lol. Runs the fan and the coolant pumps.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks. Also my stock tune showed that my fan type is PWM EV, and it is clearly 2 electric fans. I tried using PWM Electric, and nothing happened, so is there anything ot know about using "discrete" under fan type?

Yes, it is two fans wired in parallel to a single fan control pin at the ECM. So it uses the setting 'Number of fans fitted: 1'. See little picture. Two fans. In parallel. Single control pin.

1fan.png

Is there anything to know about the 'discrete' setting? Yes, lots of things. Like 'discrete' is for relay-controlled brushed-motor fans with a completely different wiring arrangement.

But I'm sure if you just change things at random for long enough, you will discover the magic hidden setting that will make your fans turn on at 160* that nobody else has been able to figure out yet. Fame and riches await, surely.

A search for Thermostat in this section of the forum returns some reading material.
    Last edited by crankz1; 05-30-2021 at 10:55 AM.

Potential Tuner
    I figured that the fans were parallel. I'm just getting into tuning, so I will probably burn down the vehicle with the wrong settings instead of finding the magic hidden tuning. I did mess with it some, and almost blew my engine up since the fans didn't come on while the vehicle was idling, and the temp almost maxed out. I have been looking at DIY stand alone PWM control, and will probably try that. Is it possible to get a new OS that will allow lower temp setting using the E92 ECM?

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post

But I'm sure if you just change things at random for long enough, you will discover the magic hidden setting that will make your fans turn on at 160* that nobody else has been able to figure out yet. Fame and riches await, surely.
    Hey Squirrel, never thought I would get rich tuning cars, but you say I can, now I gotta try!

possibly start by setting the mech thermostat to 160* or whatever you have. Then change the controlled by ect and controlled by % tables until you have them dialed in. BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVERHEAT THE VEHICLE! Poke around and see what you can do. Small changes until you have a better grip on things is highly recommended.

This is all newbie advice, but I am in the process of learning gen5 stuff, and found this simply by poking around the tune i am working on. I've found stuff in the E92 ecm that I thought would not be possible in an OE module. I may be telling you to change the wrong tables so be careful. Point is, the adjustments if possible, are in that area. Pay attention to what you are changing, and the effects of those changes and you'll be learning from some experience.
    03 Z06 stock.......for now
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.

Well, since the Fan Desired vs ECT table doesn't go below 192*, the only way to get fan activation below that point is to put a non-off (15% or higher) value in that first cell. And then the fan will run all the time no matter what the coolant temp.

Or you could do this and make the fan do what you want.

SPAL used to sell a standalone controller in two versions, one for OE GM SPAL fan logic and another for aftermarket SPAL logic, but I believe they discontinued the GM version.

You can edit the axis to lower values.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...60*-thermostat

Well that's weird. The one E92 file I picked at random and looked at the axis was non-editable. I wonder if this could have been avoided if the OP had POSTED THE ACTUAL TUNE FILE in question?

The one I looked at is the 2015 silverado e92 pcm that I have been trying to un-cluster the tune on. Didn't try changing anything, just looked and found what I suggested.
    03 Z06 stock.......for now
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.

Quote Originally Posted by wonkneedown View Post
    noob here, I have looked all over the forums and haven't found the info I need. I put a 160F thermostat in my 2019 suburban, and need to change my fans to work with the new stat. What is SWP no-flow, and ECT override limit? also there are settings under the fan tab that i can't find any info on to change to have the fans work with the new thermostat. I changed the mech thermostat to 160, but not sure what to put the rest of the settings at.
    Post your tune file...

Potential Tuner
    19 burb vats fans 2.hpt

I was able to get the fans to work correctly it appears. I moved the verticle axis on the desired % table I think it was. wierd thing is that when I change fan type to PWM electric, they don't work, but when I change fan type to PWM EV, they work, so I guess that the ECM puts out the same signal to EV as it does for having two electric fans in parallel. My temp guage also reads about 25F degrees than what the scanner shows. is there a way to calibrate the temp guage?

Potential Tuner
    I was messaging HP tuners tech support, and they said that My stock OS was the wrong one. It is the stock tune that I read off the ECM before I changed anything. could The OS being "wrong" be why it has electric fans but is controlled with the fan type PWM EV? I am not sure why the stock OS is wrong, and why the vehicles works fine. I have attached the stock ECM read.
    Attached Files Attached Files