Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please walk me through W/B MAF tuning

I'd love to get to the MAF tuning but I'm still struggling with my VE table. I calibrated my LM1 before the process just to make sure I was getting the most accurate info, and it's accuracy looks perfect. My car's AFR margin is bad! I set minimum cell hit to 50, only have 24 bits I'm logging, & the AFR error margin is in the negative double digits (-18 in some cells). I copied the error and special pasted> multiplied % and manually smoothed the surrounding cells. I then made another 55 min long log and came up with a very high (like the first log) AFR error margin. Still I copied, pasted special> multilied % and now I have a swimming pool in my VE table!

The car was running in the 11's & 12's in the AFR.

The only 2 thigns I think I may have did wrong was

1. I never reset the fuel trims in the scanner.

or

2. Although I disabled the LTFT's in the editor I didnt disable the "fuel trim learn" in the scanner also.

Any ideas, I hope this is just another case of my ignorance.

TIA
    Last edited by WS6HUMMER; 12-11-2006 at 07:47 AM.
    99 T/A WS6, original LS1 turbo

I always leave the VE table stock when doing a Maf tune. Make sure that your in open loop and reset the fuel trims. Set the commanded PE to 1.13 (13.0 afr), and rescale the Maf using the Maf histogram AFR Error%. Slow the car down to 1000 rpm in 3rd gear, then go WOT till your redline. Then copy & paste the error% to the Maf table. For any maf cells that were skipped over, average the values & enter them into those cells.

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 12-11-2006 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    I always leave the VE table stock when doing a Maf tune. Make sure that your in open loop and reset the fuel trims. Set the commanded PE to 1.13 (13.0 afr), and rescale the Maf using the Maf histogram AFR Error%. Slow the car down to 1000 rpm in 3rd gear, then go WOT till your redline. Then copy & paste the error% to the Maf table. For any maf cells that were skipped over, average the values & enter them into those cells.

Russ Kemp
    Thanks Russ, I got the MAF config thanks to an earlier post you made helping someone else out. And thank you also for the MAF tuning advice.

My VE table is a problem that I really need to adress though, in SD the car is so rich it will barely run at times. So do you think that me not resetting the fuel trims before logging for AFR error % threw all the information off?
    Last edited by WS6HUMMER; 12-11-2006 at 09:15 AM.

So does anyone know if my AFR error always being off no matter how many times I log AFR error and paste it to my VE table is a direct result of me not resetting the fuel trims before or after each log session?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    mind posting your hpl & hpt files so we can look them over to see whats going on?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    mind posting your hpl & hpt files so we can look them over to see whats going on?
    No problem thanks for offering.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    in SD mode you'll drop to the secondary VE table in operating systems that have them such as yours as stated in the help file you'll need to

"Switch to the SDStarter1.hpt file & open your main & secondary VE tables & paste special-multiply by % to the main & hand blend the surrounding unaffected cells. Then copy each line to the secondary."

This is why its recommended to go with a custom 1 bar SD operating system or update to an 01+ OS since neither of these use a secondary VE table...the 1 bar custom OS also gives you RTT functionality. Here are some more benefits of our custom os's http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...9644#post59644

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Chris
    A while back I remember seeing the attached spreadsheet. I'm assuming this would be a different procedure then what you mentioned above right? Is this spreadsheet even necessary or better than your method?

Thanks
    Never had a need for any spread sheets. The maf histograms in the scanner are all you need to tune your car.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
    Thanks Russ, I got the MAF config thanks to an earlier post you made helping someone else out. And thank you also for the MAF tuning advice.

My VE table is a problem that I really need to adress though, in SD the car is so rich it will barely run at times. So do you think that me not resetting the fuel trims before logging for AFR error % threw all the information off?
    Did you install larger injectors? I would just leave the VE table stock and tune the Maf. Post your file and I'll take a look at it for you. Just make sure that the LTFT's are 0 before scanning, reset them if not 0. Your car is in open loop while tuning/scanning, right?

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 12-11-2006 at 12:57 PM.

in SD mode you'll drop to the secondary VE table in operating systems that have them such as yours as stated in the help file you'll need to

"Switch to the SDStarter1.hpt file & open your main & secondary VE tables & paste special-multiply by % to the main & hand blend the surrounding unaffected cells. Then copy each line to the secondary."

This is why its recommended to go with a custom 1 bar SD operating system or update to an 01+ OS since neither of these use a secondary VE table...the 1 bar custom OS also gives you RTT functionality. Here are some more benefits of our custom os's http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...9644#post59644
    If I upgraded to the 1 bar SD OS would I have to keep the car in SD all the time or would it just make this part of the tuning process easier?

What's the purpose of 2 VE tables, also should my primary and secondary VE tables match perfectly before I start? Because right now the same MAP vaues have completely different #'s in every cell.

Thanks,again for the help.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If I upgraded to the 1 bar SD OS would I have to keep the car in SD all the time or would it just make this part of the tuning process easier?

What's the purpose of 2 VE tables, also should my primary and secondary VE tables match perfectly before I start? Because right now the same MAP vaues have completely different #'s in every cell.

Thanks,again for the help.
    I use the 1 bar SD custom OS on ALL vehicles I tune now...then just re-enable the maf when im done(yes you can do this )

The fact that they give you RTT http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...xamples_ve.htm with each custom OS makes it that much more enticing to switch over

purpose? no clue, its GM do they really need a purpose in the things they do? lol

They really should match.

Did you install larger injectors? I would just leave the VE table stock and tune the Maf. Post your file and I'll take a look at it for you. Just make sure that the LTFT's are 0 before scanning, reset them if not 0. Your car is in open loop while tuning/scanning, right?

Russ Kemp
    It's in OL now that I set the Closed loop enable temp to its max value. But my AFR is way off from the commanded AFR (richer) and I've undone so many things that were done the wrong way that I really need to tune the VE table first. After that I definatly need to work on the MAF tune. Did you see the .hpt file I attached above or is that not what you need? Thank you.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Russ Kemp
    he posted his files here http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...3&postcount=40 he just wasnt tuning his secondary VE table which is why it was still the same run after run

purpose? no clue, its GM do they really need a purpose in the things they do? lol
    LOL! yeah you have a point there.

They really should match.
    Should I go to the Primary table and copy all the MAP lines that the secondary table lists and paste them in before I get started again?

I'm gonna look in to doing the 1bar SD OS and try to find a help topic so I wont have to ask you 1 more question lol!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    ask as many questions as you want, I'll just stop answering

what you can do is apply it & take a look around it before you upload it so you know what your getting, honestly though, just the use of the Real time tuning is worth the 1 credit.

for your 99 OS though I would stick with the SD operating system because the RTT MAF os wont rid you of that secondary VE table unfortunatly.

ask as many questions as you want, I'll just stop answering

what you can do is apply it & take a look around it before you upload it so you know what your getting, honestly though, just the use of the Real time tuning is worth the 1 credit.

for your 99 OS though I would stick with the SD operating system because the RTT MAF os wont rid you of that secondary VE table unfortunatly.
    It sounds like I might just upgrade the OS to an 01 or newer so I can have MAF and CL. First though I'd like to try and nail down these 99 twin VE tables, I figure it wont hurt me to learn a little. Thanks again!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    the 1 bar Custom OS would be a much better & cheaper choice...if you just go to an 01 OS you wont get RTT, wont get the VE multiplyer table, & wont have the high/low octane functionality in SD.

Think it over but applying the Custom 1 bar SD OS would be the way I'd go rather then going to an 01 OS.

the 1 bar Custom OS would be a much better & cheaper choice...if you just go to an 01 OS you wont get RTT, wont get the VE multiplyer table, & wont have the high/low octane functionality in SD.

Think it over but applying the Custom 1 bar SD OS would be the way I'd go rather then going to an 01 OS.
    If you say it's the way to go it's all I need to hear.
    Where's can I look to get mor info on the 1 bar SD so I can read up on it?
    Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    Wish we had the 1 BAR SD Option. Any word of that?
    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

MY FQUICK - http://www.fquick.com/cyclone_chris

Mods:
    K&N Intake | 18" Staggered TSW Thruxton Setup | Toyo T1-R Tires | Billet Products Short Shifter | Kooks 1-3/4" LT Catted headers | NGK TR55 | Ported Stock Intake Manifold | Corsa Sport Exhaust | Polished T/B | FlowTech Streetsweeper V2 Cam | SLP UD Pulley | 160 Thermostat | LS7 Clutch | 39# Ford Blue Giant Injectors | Scorpion Roller Rockers |

445 RWHP/413 RWTQ

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If you say it's the way to go it's all I need to hear.
    Where's can I look to get mor info on the 1 bar SD so I can read up on it?
    Thanks!
    http://www.thetuningdoctor.com/HPTun...eedDensity.swf

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...newpost&t=8632