Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: AEM 30-0334-type direct OBDII wideband for older vehicles. Any takers ?

Advanced Tuner
    It's not pretty. But, it works

Rev A2 PCBs are on the way. Should be good to go.

app.JPG

Advanced Tuner
    How long do you think until you're ready to sell some?

Advanced Tuner
    I estimate 30-45 days, assuming all is OK with the A2 PCBs. I need to talk to the production guys.
    I still need to do the drawings for the housings; and, talk to the machine shop. The 1st protos are done with a Dremel tool and files..

The 1st ones will be GM. I still need to get a simulator to test the Ford and Chrysler code. But, the firmware can be updated, over USB. So, that will not be a huge hold-up.

The 1st test units will go out sooner. But, they will not be pretty :P

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    Rev A2 PCBs are on the way. Should be good to go.
    app.JPG
    nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    The 1st protos are done with a Dremel tool and files..

The 1st test units will go out sooner. But, they will not be pretty :P
    2002 Suburban 5.3L (BTR V2 Stage II Truck Cam Kit) | 4L60E (Corvette Servo)

Advanced Tuner
    I?ll gladly test a GM unit for you and email datalogs or whatever info you need

Advanced Tuner
    The 1st ones will be GM specific, as I work out the Chrysler variant of VPW; then the Ford PWM. But, that should all be done by firmware updates. Which I just got working.
    Attachment 117606
    Since the firmware can, now, be updated via USB, by the user, I can send the A2 units out, as soon as I verify the hardware.

I just talked to the production guy. He is working out the housings, etc. And, trying to deal with the chip shortage.

Tuner in Training
    Hey @dr.mike, seems your the most knowledgeable on this aem debacle! Been stirring my brain for days trying to get my gauge to work, getting mixed answers and hoping you can shed some light. I bought a 30-0334 for my 2006 C6 ls2 Vette, e38 pcm. Didn't notice the 2007/2008+ CAN info before purchasing but saw some mention 05/06 vettes may also be the proper spec CAN bus. So I have it piggybacked with mpvi on the obd connection, neither vcm scanner nor beta versions can get this thing to show up in the channels. All I get is the generic aem 30-3xxx external channels. I looked in the log info, ECU shows j16xx canbus protocol, I believe, I'll have to double check later. My aem shows CAN settings but not OBD, which I saw you mentioned is the wrong firmware? I have access to a few more gauges at my shop and can try swapping to see if it makes a difference. I *think* my canbus should work and I wouldn't need your adapter unless it was an older gm ECU? Worst case figuring I'll wire it into the egr/ac line, but figured you'd have a 1 sentence answer that eases my suffering! Thank you sir!

Advanced Tuner
    It sounds like you got one of the AEM 30-0334 gauges that slipped out with the 30-0300 firmware. There were a few of those, a while back.
    I can flash it to the 30-0334 code, if you want. Or, AEM will replace it. They know about the issue. IIRC the E38 is a CANBus ECU.

Tuner in Training
    You the man! Swapped the gauge with another 30-0334, has the OBD2 menu. Worked perfectly, VCM scanner immediately recognized it and logged properly. If anyone see's it, 30-0334 will work on 06 Corvettes.

Senior Tuner
    Dr. Mike.. This is a bit off topic but maybe you would know. Have you seen AEM 30-0300 analog output stay quiet for quite a while on first crank/run? It's so frustrating. You can test them with a meter and see 0 volts even though the sensor is reporting just fine for minutes on end. I've notice they come a live a bit earlier if you have them wired direct to the alternator but even that isn't a sure fix. AEM support told me to ground the analog out differently. That didn't help. I have two on hand both do it. One worse than the other.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    I am pissed I missed the 2008+ ...trying to run this on a 2005 Dodge SRT-4 with no luck... Following post for when something is available.

Advanced Tuner
    It's getting close. I am supposed to have the pre-production build PCBs, tomorrow, or Monday.

It's down to getting the housings cut. And, finishing up the firmware for non-GM vehicles. MOPAR is next

Dr.Mike how close to getting one of these units? I just purchased the AEM gauge thinking great OBD2 makes easy to use....nope, got an 05 gen 3 and no go. Wont connect in HPT. Id gladly purchase one of your adaptors asap if you have one ready. TIA

Advanced Tuner
    Technically, I am supposed to be receiving the 1st run of PCBs today. Once they are tested and programmed, I will figure out how to get the 1st few test units in the field.

But, as stated, the 1st ones with come with blank cases. You need to be handy with a Dremel tool :P Also, your 30-0334 will need to be re-flashed back to 30-0300 firmware, for this to work.

ok, so I have the 30-0334. It would need to be flashed to another firmware? How would this be done? Once thats done would it be a simple plug in your adapter then plug the OBD cable that came with the 30-0334 into it? Would flashing it to another firware disable the option of being able to use it in a newer can system vehicle for mobile tuning?
    JUst trying to understand. The whole reason for getting it was the use of the OBD port for portability and not have to hard wire if needed to use on another vehicle.

Tuner in Training
    Are the PCB's coming populated or are you tasked with that as well

Advanced Tuner
    ok, so I have the 30-0334. It would need to be flashed to another firmware? How would this be done?
    I need to do that. The re-FLASH is a complex procedure. You can send me the gauge.

Are the PCB's coming populated or are you tasked with that as well
    These are assembled PCBs ( less the OBD2 Connectors ). As you may have seen, in earlier pics, I should, probably, not be allowed to solder :P

These just need test and programming.

I only have 10 pcs coming, now. So, the 1st 2 will go out to GM ( J1850 VPW) testers. Then the next 2 for Chrysler ( J1850 VPW + IFR). Then 2 for Ford ( J1850 PWM ), and 2 for CAN bus vehicles. But, really, for CAN, you may as well get the 30-0334. Unless you want 2 or more gauges.

And, like I mentioned before. The testers will need to whittle their own enclosures Since I have not worked out a deal with a machine shop to cut them, yet.

I tried doing a couple of them on my laser cutter. But, this material does not cut clean.
    Last edited by dr.mike; 03-18-2022 at 08:16 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Curious, in your safe start "hold" mode is the safe start a CAN message from your device to the AEM device or perhaps some voltage trickery assuming power is coming from your device to the WB controller. just interested in the form of witchcraft you are using to perform your dark magic (it is just I like to know what happens behind the curtain). Even when you have an ICD it is always interesting learning what is not in the ICD

OK, so for me its prob best I get a gauge that will work as apposed to modding this one as it would loose its ability to be able to be used on newer vehicles.

Advanced Tuner
    Curious, in your safe start "hold" mode is the safe start a CAN message from your device to the AEM device or perhaps some voltage trickery...
    It is, indeed, a CAN message. The X-series widebands, actually, have a pretty extensive CAN API. The new device waits for RPM to be greater than 300, before signalling the wideband(s) to start the heat cycle

OK, so for me its prob best I get a gauge that will work as apposed to modding this one as it would loose its ability to be able to be used on newer vehicles.
    This new device, also, works with CAN based vehicles. ( That was the easy part ). So, a 30-0300 or 03-0310 ( or- re-flashed 30-0334 ), with one of these adapters, should work with all US made OBDII vehicles. 1996-present. I did not have room for the ISO-9141 interface, used by Japanese manufacturers. Maybe some time in the future, if there is demand for it.

I THINK this new device, along with one, or,more, 30-0300/0310s, is the ultimate combination for multi-vehicle tuning. Especially, with the reduced wiring.

But, I am, probably, biased