Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: AEM 30-0334-type direct OBDII wideband for older vehicles. Any takers ?

Advanced Tuner
    And ... They are here.
    20220320_132801.jpg

I will be out of the office, until Tuesday. I will get them programmed and tested, then.
    The 1st 2 need to go out to GM installations. ( for people who are handy with a Dremel )
    After that, I need to get an ECU simulator that does the Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth flavor of J1850, to finish up that code.

Initially, these should be removed, while flashing the ECU. But, I should have a firmware update for that, shortly.
    Fortunately, the firmware is easy to update, over USB.

Tuner in Training
    I could put one under test using a 2003 GMC 5.3 along with a 30-0310

Advanced Tuner
    I, technically,, have not written the code to differentiate the 30-0300 and 30-0310 devices,yet. I think, sending the command to set the display to "Hold"to a 30-0310 ( which has no display ) could be an issue.

I SHOULD be able to deal with that pretty quickly.

Tuner in Training
    Should I drop ship a 0310 to you for bench testing

Advanced Tuner
    I have several, here

I am about 95% sure that it will not cause any issues. I just need time to test it.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    it's getting close. I am supposed to have the pre-production build pcbs, tomorrow, or monday.

It's down to getting the housings cut. And, finishing up the firmware for non-gm vehicles. Mopar is next
    hero

Advanced Tuner
    They tested out OK.

So, I have 2 pre-production units available. These will be GM-only units, initially. They are firmware upgradeable via USB. So, adding the CAN, Chrysler, and Ford functionality will not be a problem, once those firmwares are available.

They come with UNMACHINED housings.

Also, note : It MAY not be a good idea to use these with extension or Y-cables. The widebands pull up to 4A each, from the OBD2 port. And, I dont know what gauge wire is used in the cables. Putting a cable AFTER the device is, probably, fine.

Tuner in Training
    If they are not both spoken for I will take one. Also I assume they listen for AEM CAN and speak OBD K-line.

PS: side note on my other project I pulled the 30-0334 of and installed the re-flashed 30-0310 and it worked like a charm. Re-terminated the 0310 with some JST JWPF connectors to shorten the cables and interface properly with the vehicle and it was a nice install and set up.
    Last edited by R Horn; 03-27-2022 at 07:24 PM.

Tuner in Training
    As I think I am more intrigued. CAN makes life so easy and I don't know enough about K-line and just never needed to or immersed myself but CAN is becoming a way of life. Does your device site on the K-line bus and add the additional controller like a CAN trunk. I know it process's CAN and puts the CAN onto the K-line but did it also process the existing K-line and pass it through like the OBD2 data changers where you can filter or modify specific messages?

I don't want to take this off topic but this seems still on topic even if it only interests me.

Advanced Tuner
    Also I assume they listen for AEM CAN and speak OBD K-line
    K-line ( ISO-9141 ) Is for Japanese cars from 1996-2007. This adapter is for J1850 ( GM, Chrysler and Ford ) 1996-2007. And, also CAN 2008-present, for all cars.

This device listens for AEMNet CAN widebands ( 30-0300, 30-0310 and 30-0350 ) and converts the data to OBD2 in the J1850 and CAN variants.

This interface sits on the J1850 bus, the same way the 30-0334 sits on the CAN bus. It passes all of the ECU data, through. And, adds the WB data.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    K-line ( ISO-9141 ) Is for Japanese cars from 1996-2007. This adapter is for J1850 ( GM, Chrysler and Ford ) 1996-2007. And, also CAN 2008-present, for all cars.

This device listens for AEMNet CAN widebands ( 30-0300, 30-0310 and 30-0350 ) and converts the data to OBD2 in the J1850 and CAN variants.

This interface sits on the J1850 bus, the same way the 30-0334 sits on the CAN bus. It passes all of the ECU data, through. And, adds the WB data.
    Not sure why I thought my 2003 GMC was K-line in reality it is likely something I knew but as new information goes in something has to fall out~~ so switch all comments from K-line to J1850 which as I finish typing this the the J1850 is starting to ring a bell.

My intent is to plug into 2003 GMC 5.3 I am really done tuning the GMC and used the the HP mpvi2+ with a serial from a innovate wide band. Prefer cleaner wiring with the stand alone option (currently doesn't work with mpvi2+ and the Prolink). As I see it besides wiring it in I can then use stand alone on the mpvi2+ with your device as the prolink is then no longer required.

Side note is sucks paying for the prolink feature set when it doesn't work in stand alone mode (Can I guild HPtuners a bit into fixing this? forum post on this date back over 1 year)

It still stands I can put a unit under test withing two weeks, I want to say one but life gets in in the way and two weeks is more realistic. Willing to pay for device and all i ask is when a production run comes I have early option on that.

Also a question on poll rate. Again wont matter to most. On my KTM I am testing the specs say the AEM is good up to 100 hz I think and I have only been up to 50 but the Continental M3C appears to choke around 46-50 kz but that requires polling for every frame. If I don't interpolate the exports you can see the data rate and gaps. I assume you device and the AEM can likely support faster than than the ECU but granted I don't recall playing with polling rated on the GMC. I likely left them at the default set by HPtuners.

I just thought of why I had K-line on the brain, the KTM four stroke has both CAN and K-line and those have been my focus lately.
    Last edited by R Horn; 03-27-2022 at 09:12 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    OK. You get one

Tuner in Training
    I most likely won't won't use your device to power the AEM and just run the CAN wires into the CAB and then connect to the device.

Advanced Tuner
    Are you running a 30-0310 ?

Tuner in Training
    I will be using a 30-0310 and will just order another one for this, I like the sealed gauge-less packaging. Works out cleaner on the install.

(I know there is some concern with the HOLD messaging)

The only other AEM I have on hand is a 30-0334, beyond that I have a couple Innovates and a few Daytona Sensor units that are of no help for this.

When I originally did the GMC it was with the innovate and a USB to serial converter and that is just not clean to work with. The standalone logging so far has been a failure from HPtuners when using with the prolink but stand alone works killer if you bring the wide band in on the OBD side of the house. If I sounded like a was bitching I wasn't the HPtners product really is super but they do need to fix the standalone function with prolink and to get stand alone in comes with the prolink but then the firmware doesn't support it in standalone~~

Your device should should really clean things up and simplify the connection and interface

To HPtuners please ignore my bitching you do have a great product but up front I purchased the MPVI2+ more for logging than as a primary tuning interface, I did license i to the GMC just to try the tuning interface which really is a wonderfully configured package.

Advanced Tuner
    OK. I can use 1 more early adopter/guinea pig for these pre-production units.

I am looking for someone who will be running 1 or 2 AEM 30-0300 Widebands AND a GM vehicle that is NOT CAN based ( Most 1996-2007 ).
    Ideally, someone who will run the wideband power, from my device.

The MOPAR interface protocol is next

Advanced Tuner
    Dr Mike, I have a 30-0310 that interfaces with my VCM Scanner, and I do several GM 99-06 (and 07-18) vehicles per week. I'd like to try one out.

I currently have an MPVI2 with Pro Features, and interface it using an OBDII splitter for power/Pro Link to link to HPT. WE also have another MPVI2+ here at work that does not have Pro Features and this would allow me to run my WB with it

Potential Tuner
    I am 100% interested in one. I have 1 vehicle running a P01 PCM, a GMT400 with the 98-99 blackbox (soon to be 411 too) and bought the 30-0334 to tune other peoples vehicles. It would be amazing to use it to read AFR in the scanner!
    Last edited by phantom309; 04-06-2022 at 03:07 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks. I have 1 tester using the 30-0310. I really need someone using the 30-0300 gauge.

Also, I would be a bit worried about the splitter. The wideband pulls about 4Amps while "warming up" the sensor. So, this box, probably, needs to be connected directly to the OBD2 port , as I don't know the wire gauge used in the splitter cable. You could add the splitter, after the box, though. Or... just hope for the best

Advanced Tuner
    I could omit the splitter and prolink in the setup if you dont find a 0300 to test. I?m only running the splitter for power/ground for the 0310 so it reduces some clutter in the car. Makes for a quick easy portable hookup