Thread: 5.3 hates coming back to idle.

Tuner in Training

5.3 hates coming back to idle.

What can I change to make the transition to idle better? A blip of the throttle causes rpms to come back down and die. Coming to stop signs are the same.

5.3 LS SWAP
    228-230 .585 lift 112
    LS6 intake
    85mm BBK TB
    headers
    2700 stall
    4l80e
    Computer-2001 GMC Yukon

TA JBtune1.hptjbrowntune1log.hpl
    Last edited by 94-6spd; 09-01-2021 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added

You can start by posting the tune and log files.

Then by also listing the mods and so on that you have done.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry, I'm new to HPtuners and the forum. I've been reading everything to try to figure out the issue.

What injectors are those and is the data correct?

The tune is lean, the fuel trims are adding in 10-15% almost all the time.

Your in park to in drive spark timing takes a pretty big jump at that 700-800rpm, I would make them both much closer. The timing swing at idle is kind of alot. I would reduce the over/underspeed spark correction so it can't move so much. Usually you don't need the same base running airflow either for park and in gear as well.

That was just a quick look through.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    They're LS2's decapped, cleaned, and flowed 80. I've noticed that in the logs it says it's in 1st gear instead of Park. Is this just just something that it just says on the scanner? This makes me concerned that it's causing a problem. It does however show going through the gears if we try to drive it down the road just fine. The scanner doesn't show reverse or park on the channel I have opened.

Quote Originally Posted by 94-6spd View Post
    They're LS2's decapped, cleaned, and flowed 80. I've noticed that in the logs it says it's in 1st gear instead of Park. Is this just just something that it just says on the scanner? This makes me concerned that it's causing a problem. It does however show going through the gears if we try to drive it down the road just fine. The scanner doesn't show reverse or park on the channel I have opened.
    I'm not sure about all pcms, but on my 2001 Silverado P01 it always shows "1" under current gear when I'm in Park/Neutral/1st gear. Nothing to worry about.
    2001 Silverado 5.3 - 209/217 cam, GT45 Turbo on 7lbs, Aem x-series wideband, 50lb/hr flex fuel injectors, on E85 with content sensor

1999 Silverado 6.0/4L80E Summit Stage one camshaft, 317 heads (replaced cast iron)

Advanced Tuner
    Current Gear will always show 1 sitting still

PRNDL Status is the channel you want to log to see Park, Reverse, D4, etc

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
    Current Gear will always show 1 sitting still

PRNDL Status is the channel you want to log to see Park, Reverse, D4, etc
    Okay, that's good to know.

Senior Tuner
    Just like 5FDP indicated, it's a little too lean at idle. That certainly needs to be fixed. But the biggest issue that's causing the problem is the throttle body adjustment. It's idling at 110 IAC counts. It needs to be 40-70. Open the throttle body blade by at least 1/2 turn of the idle screw and see how it performs.

Tuner in Training
    With this tb I wasn't able to get it down that low without closing the blade too much and causing it to die. It's as if the IAC can't flow enough air. I now have it at 70-80.