Thread: 5R110W shift map questions

Potential Tuner

5R110W shift map questions

Greetings,

I have a couple questions about a couple of the settings for this trans. In TCM-40232 has several "clutch fill time" maps. It says, "this is the time to fill the hydraulic clutch on the shift". The question is, does this value actually *set* the fill time or does it simply specify what the existing fill time is? Same over in the Adaptive tab for the "clutch slip times". The description is worded a little differently and it seems to be that these maps actually do *set* the actual slip time of the shift members. Same for "Torque Transfer Time". Do we actually set the time values for the events? I'm a bit unclear exactly what torque transfer time means as well. Is that the overall time to complete the shift? These are in the Adaptive Settings group which I'll probably end up disabling anyway. Those "clutch fill time" maps aren't in the adaptive settings so I'd like to understand exactly what that is. I'm very fussy about trans operation, even light and part throttle shift quality and feel. There are plenty of adjustments so I'm sure I'll find exactly what suits me.

Many thanks in advance!!
    --
    RadioAD5GB

2006 6.0 F-250 FX4
    Studded, deleted
    WDI Premium 175/30s
    KC DIY Stage II turbocharger
    DIY full billet trans with many mods and enhancements
    Precision Industries 1600 RPM stall converter
    IPR remote oil cooler and coolant filtration system
    4" MBRP with "Quiet Tone" muffler.
    FASS Titanium 125G

Quote Originally Posted by RadioAD5GB View Post
    Greetings,

I have a couple questions about a couple of the settings for this trans. In TCM-40232 has several "clutch fill time" maps. It says, "this is the time to fill the hydraulic clutch on the shift". The question is, does this value actually *set* the fill time or does it simply specify what the existing fill time is? Same over in the Adaptive tab for the "clutch slip times". The description is worded a little differently and it seems to be that these maps actually do *set* the actual slip time of the shift members. Same for "Torque Transfer Time". Do we actually set the time values for the events? I'm a bit unclear exactly what torque transfer time means as well. Is that the overall time to complete the shift? These are in the Adaptive Settings group which I'll probably end up disabling anyway. Those "clutch fill time" maps aren't in the adaptive settings so I'd like to understand exactly what that is. I'm very fussy about trans operation, even light and part throttle shift quality and feel. There are plenty of adjustments so I'm sure I'll find exactly what suits me.

Many thanks in advance!!
    So everything in the adaptive tab is going to modify pressure over time to try and get the trans to meet the times specified. The clutch fill time it the time to release the offgoing clutch. I'm not sure but I think it is the target time that the tcm used to sequence other events. For example, if it's set to 1 second but the actual clutch fill time is .5 seconds your shifts will complete too fast because the clutch is filled .5 seconds earlier than expected. Hope that helps. On my truck I didn't see a lot of changes when I modified that. I have a 6r140 but they have similar tables and maps. Also if you are changing shifts up a great deal from stock and you have a lot of HP you may want to disable adaptive learning. A lot of times you may get shifts where you want them but at really high horsepower they tcm will sometimes "learn" wrong and you will get flares, and soft shifts.