Thread: 3800 V6 - 1998 Camaro

3800 V6 - 1998 Camaro

- 3800 v6 series 3 Block, Series 2 upper intake manifold - throttle by Cable design
    - A/C Delete
    - Manual Transmission - T5
    - 'Stock 'Rear end - Limited Slip.
    - 1999 Fuel tank and pump Swap
    - Naturally Aspirated / stock internals
    - Long Tube Headers (Pacesetter)
    - 'Controlled' Exhaust cut-out
    - 93 Octane pump gas
    - Stock Bank 1, Bank 2, and bank 1 sensor 2 02 sensors (no wide band at this time)

Hey all,

Searching the forums for someone with my setup, I have only observed those with forced induction, So if there is a thread I have missed Please point me to it, but i figured I'd create this thread to ask my questions here.

Using HP Tuners, on a stock tune- I was able to observe knock at certain intervals, This I have been told and have researched, can be attributed to the headers providing the knock sensors a false reading.

The Block is from a 08' Buick FWD application, "series 3" motor - converted to RWD, N/A. The intake upper and lower come from the series 2 design from the original motor in the car.

My fuel trims (short term) vary from -2 to +2. Now, I am unsure how the computer calculates its tables, from the MAP, the MAF, 02, from Load, or all of the above? This would be my first time tuning a ECM by myself, and I was looking for assistance on adjusting tables, and the route or, a correct route that should be followed? Id like to bring down those variable stft's to as close to "0" as I can get em.
    I've read a wide Band 02 sensor is going to be a best investment for this, but would like to try and avoid this until it is decided to actually force induct or apply a aggressive cam of sorts. I need to learn the basics of tuning the computer without harming the computer/motor, so I was looking for a "flow" of sorts for tuning.

I am assuming, because the headers are producing more airflow, a tune is absolutely required to obtain any type of gain from them (if any) and would potentially provide some additional gains and a more fluid response on throttle. As well because it is a different block (same sensors and design, likely no difference here other than shorter block height by 0.010 of an inch) I'm assuming a tune would be best for the overall health of the motors performance.

I have been researching here an there and figured I would post here on the forums to see what type of information or direction I can be guided towards for this particular ECM.

To add, this would be for street purposes, so Emissions testing would still need to be passed.

Sorry for the super newb post.

- NAB
    Last edited by Naturally_Aspirated_Boost; 11-11-2021 at 05:58 PM.