Thread: First time calibrating issue LS swap. FAILED. Any suggestions?

Potential Tuner

First time calibrating issue LS swap. FAILED. Any suggestions?

Hey guys,
    I have just purchased the MVPI2+ and I am trying to learn ECM calibrating with my own car to determine if I will be able to upgrade vehicles mechanically and program them to run with the modifications.
    From what I understand it is all simple but also easy to screw up if I'm not careful.

What I built is a 1979 Malibu with a 2002 5.3l lm7 with flat top pistons, Comp 568 lift cam, ls1 MAF and throttle body, and weiand intake. My ECM is 2001 silverado 5.3l. wired by painless ls1 harness. I had to send it to get tuned. It ran very well but I was not 100% happy. It has cold start stalling issues, high idle and no cooling fan operation.

I started with the Fans link, adjusted temperatures for on and off and temperature on ac on. Under Hardware I changed the Fan Type from No Fans to 2 Fans. I left everything else the way it was. When I went to write in the changes a small page appeared and said the operating system IDs are different or does not match. I searched the forum for a similar issue and found back in 2016 it was recommended to use Write Entire. I selected Write Entire and when it was complete my fuel pump relay started pulsing quickly and the car would not start. I went to use the HP tuner scanner and it said something about not communication or something. I went to the forum again to check about that and Bill@hptuners wrote to someone about the VSS. He recommended it be at 4000 and it worked for the guy. When I first read saved my ecm settings my vss was and still is at 255. I went to change it and a small page came up and said that 4000 was too high. I also looked around and found nothing under Code Modification in the OS link. I have not been able to do anything since the first write in with the fan changes.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get my ECM going again. Also, when I wrote in the changes for the fans it saved over my original settings.
    I thought it would save a new.

I attatched a copy of the tune for anyone to go over. Malibu base tune.hpt
    Last edited by [email protected]; 12-21-2021 at 05:00 PM. Reason: missed a detail.

You posted one tune file, but I think you're dealing with two different files - the original untouched file you read from the PCM (and saved in a secure location, right?), and the one you attempted to write. Something changed between those two. It sounds like you tried to write a file from a different PCM.

Oh, You applied a custom OS. And I bet you applied the COS and then made your fan changes and only then saved the file.

Try this. Must use write-entire again, only this one time to return to stock. Do not make any changes to this file before writing.

Original File DO NOT MODIFY, SAVE SOMEWHERE SAFE, USE WRITE-ENTIRE TO RETURN TO STOCK.hpt

Potential Tuner
    Hey blindsquirrel, Thanks for taking a look. I did save the original file from the PCM but I had to save the fan temp changes over it in order to Write in the PCM. I'm not sure I can recover the original tune . I was not able to just write in the fan temp changes, I had to use the WRITE-ENTIRE to get it to write in. I haven't had the time to check yet. I have no idea how I got a COS or how it changed from what you see. Unless the COS was put in by the tuner I sent my car to. He has closed which is why I am trying to sort this out. In that last message you sent is that a file for me to try to Write in?
    Last edited by [email protected]; 12-26-2021 at 03:04 PM.

That is your file with all the changes un-done, with the custom OS removed. Use write-entire. I did not copy over any settings/tables that had been changed, you're trying to recover from a (semi?) bricked PCM, worry about the tuning after it's functional again.

Always, always, ALWAYS use 'File > Save as...' and give the file some kind of distinctive name instead of just clicking the dummy-button on the toolbar and overwriting the existing file. Double especially when making the first changes to a stock file or when doing any custom OS stuff.

Those changes were made to the file since the last time a read-entire was done and the file first created. I don't think that's correct that these changes were done by some other tuner.

Potential Tuner
    Ok. Got it. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Potential Tuner
    Hey Blindsquirrel, Update. I went to write in the file and now the Controller unlocker timed out several times. I made sure battery is charged and kept the charger on 6 amp charge, I disconnected the battery for reset a few times, resynced the programmer, tried the Beta version, and made sure all connections were good. Is there something I missed?

Um... you do realize that this was an attempt to recover a partially bricked PCM that had been written with a corrupted file, right? And that it may just simply be permanently broken now?

Potential Tuner
    Of course. I just have to know when the end is reached to toss the PCM into the trash. I still dont understand how the file corrupted. It sucks its gonna cost another couple hundred and time to get the car running again. This PCM was supposed to be from a camaro and have fan operation. after reading the vin it ended up being from a truck. This time I can buy a PCM with fan settings already done and just worry about the vats removal and tune. Thank you for trying to help.

Potential Tuner
    UPDATE, I had to buy another PCM. I got it on eBay for $140. The seller matched my vin and set up the fans file for me, but I still had to purchase 2 more credits to transfer my tune files. Apparently licensing a vin is not all thats being licensed. Its the vin and file. Anyway, My car is running now and I can start to dial in my cold start.