Thread: Altitude

Potential Tuner

Altitude

When running the altimeter feature, my .csv file shows that the highest altitude obtained is 361.4', yet when I run the data along with the video, it shows the maximum altitude at 357'. When I run it back over and over again, sometimes I'll get 344' and a few other numbers. Shouldn't it be pulling the highest number from my .csv file?

Thanks in advance,

Advanced Tuner
    Can you either post the CSV here or post a Google Drive link for it?

RaceRender will interpolate some of the data to smooth things out which can be helpful if data is sparse, but sometimes it can get confused. As long as you have the data, then we should be able to get RaceRender to work with it. It could also be that whatever Display Object that you're using just needs to be setup correctly to read the data. Having the data file would help me figure that out.

Potential Tuner
    I've attached the .csv file for this flight.

Here's the company that logs the flights and created the app and software. This is the data from the logged flight. You'll see that the apogee (max altitude) from the .csv registered at 361.4'
    https://flightsketch.com/flights/3180/

Here's the final rendered video. It's the first flight in this compilation video. In it, RaceRender only showed the max altitude at 355'.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AHTx4Y5Y40
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    I think the primary issue here is that your max value exists for one row that spans 0.2 seconds, and with interpolation between the rows, it would be practically impossible for the frame that gets rendered closest to that row to fall exactly at the timeframe. 355 is pretty close...but if you want it to be exact, then you might need to massage the data a little bit to make it work.

In Google Sheets, I copied your altitude column into a new altitude_max column up until row 476 (at time 4.82s) which corresponds to your max 361.449. I then copied 361.449 (by dragging the bottom right corner of the cell to copy it into subsequent cells) into the next several rows (I did about 100, but you probably only need about 5-10 rows), and left the rest of them blank. If you use this data file and use the altitude_max field for your Maximum (but leave just altitude for the current display), then you should get your precise value. You could do this for your other relative maximum around 309 if you want that to be more precise as well, but that doesn't seem to be as important as the overall maximum.

fltSk_2021-12-06__16-19-32 - fltSk_2021-12-06__16-19-32.csv

Potential Tuner
    HoboBob,

Thank you very much! I really like your idea and will implement it in future renderings when I get different data.