Thread: Accel Factor

Tuner in Training

Accel Factor

Been trying to adjust shift points on 2013 Charger SXT ZF8 transmission and the Accel Factor is giving me fits. I have adjusted the shift points in the specified shift table for the Accel Factor that is showing. No matter what I do it never shifts at the rpm I have it set to. I have checked and the shift table is not mapped to a different table. I understand that the Accel Factor is based off the G-forces. Does anyone now exactly how the Accel Factor affects the shift points? I have even tried setting all the Type tables in Accel Factor section to 1, no change.
    Last edited by 2500HD8.1; 01-28-2022 at 02:24 PM.

It just goes into factoring the TCM's aggression learning.

Personally, i don't even mess with Aggression Learning. I want the shift point to be where I want want them and stay there regardless on how often im raging on it.

I use Aggression Mapping (30002) to limit the Aggression map sets vs driver type and then setup all those five Maps in that set to be identical.

So for Normal Mode which uses Aggression 0 & 1, shift map's 0,5,10,15 & 20 are changed to have identical shit points.
    Same for Sport mode ( Aggression 2). The TCM can learn all it wants but it'll shift where i told it to
    Last edited by duster360; 01-29-2022 at 12:45 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply. I don't have Aggression Mapping available. My main issue is when just driving normally, table 43, and I start accelerating up a hill, the Accel Factor will start to increase and once it gets to 2 it will change shift tables to table 44. I have set all the type tables to 1 and will still increase to 2. When it switches tables it will downshift to the next lower gear and rapidly start to accelerate and I will have to let off the throttle to stay close to previous speed. I have adjusted the downshift RPMs considerably lower and it doesn't have any affect on shifting. I don't have any issues with the shifting pattern when I'm actually driving aggressively, it's where I want it.

43 & 44 are "ECO" shift maps. Eco and Aggression seem act the same , shifting maps based on how aggressive you drive.

If it annoys you so much, you can just follow my previous advice and just change all your ECO maps to be identical. Problem solved.
    On my Charger, ECO maps are 42,43,44,45.....but the Shift Pattern REMAPS 42 to 0, 44 to 10 and 45 to 15
    Maps 0,10 and 15 are all Aggression 0 shift maps.

Also, are you trying to change your "ECO" Accel Factor table 46033??
    if not, that's probably why your changes arent working

Tuner in Training
    I had thought about remapping the offending table but, since no matter how much I changed it it had no affect on how it shifted, so I figured remapping it wouldn't change shift points either. It seems like that even though Shift ID is telling me it's table 44, that is not the case. I did take a look at table 45, which has never even shown up anytime I drive, and that table appears to match the RPMs it keeps wanting to shift at. I have made changes to that one and I'll see what happens. Which, as you said, if I had made them all match I should have seen it change. But, table 45 had never shown up in Shift ID at anytime, so I may not have even changed it. I try not to change shift points too much for normal driving, as I use it as kind of a 'dyno'. If I can make enough power change in the engine to not have to downshift then that shows an improvement in power. So, that is why I don't normally make broad changes in the transmission. Then once I have gone as far as I can I go back and fine tune the shifting. That is why this issue was bugging me: 1) I could not change shift point to match new power curve no matter what I did using the information the log was showing and 2) the engine was making more power now that it didn't need to downshift, but since the accelerometer was seeing an incline it was seeing aggression and it wanted to downshift and when it did the car would take off and now accelerate too much and I would have let off throttle.

All of my ECO maps are not mapped to any other table, 42-45 are 42-45. Also, I do not have table 46033 available. My OS does not have a lot of the trans tables. Took HPTuners almost 2 years of back and forth just to get Shift ID. They said it was a weird OS and had only had one other that had issues getting Shift ID to show up. So, that's why I thought maybe I was missing something. If it's odd or weird, I seem to be the one to get.

since the accelerometer was seeing an incline it was seeing aggression and it wanted to downshift and when it did the car would take off and now accelerate too much and I would have let off throttle.
    I'm pretty sure its more controlled by Input Torque & Output Shaft speed than pitch of the vehicle.

Raising Table 36116 - Indicated Torque to Aircharge Per Cylinder can boost the Engine's reported Torque to the Trans possibly delaying a downshift

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 2500HD8.1 View Post
    It seems like that even though Shift ID is telling me it's table 44, that is not the case. I did take a look at table 45, which has never even shown up anytime I drive, and that table appears to match the RPMs it keeps wanting to shift at. I have made changes to that one and I'll see what happens.
    This appears to have done it. Changed table 45 to what I wanted and it now does what is requested. Still not sure why Shift ID was showing 44, I did double check mapping and 44 was not mapped to 45. Thanks to duster360 for helping out.
    Last edited by 2500HD8.1; 02-02-2022 at 02:04 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Accel Factor check angle of car and when you are climbing to the hill, than change the shift - higher value = more downshifts in the driving on the hill. Im not sure what is value of the table, but I think it is not connected with shift patterns, because I tested patterns with the same value and still I saw the changes in the hill.