Thread: Stabbing the Throttle in Neutral - Which Table Controls That?

Stabbing the Throttle in Neutral - Which Table Controls That?

Hello,

Vehicle info:
    2020 Mustang GT, Euro-spec, manual gearbox.

Hardware.png

My GT has the automatic rev match feature, but I try not to use it. I want to do it myself. I've been practicing for several months, and I've come to a point where I can do it reliably most of the time.
    With one exception.
    I never get it right in second gear. And I think I've finally found out why. It's not me. It's the car.

When downshifting from, say, fourth to third, I disengage the clutch, then start moving the shift lever through the third gear gate, while at the same time stabbing the gas pedal hard and quickly. The revs rise, I engage the clutch, and all is well. Marvellous. The same happens from fifth to fourth, or from sixth to fifth.
    But if I'm in third and want to downshift to second, it doesn't work. When I stab the throttle with the clutch disengaged at that speed, all I get from the engine is a faint, lazy reaction. The revs barely rise by 500 rpm at best.
    At first I thought I was doing something wrong, something different, but now I'm certain that this isn't the case. It's the engine that reacts differently based on the current speed.
    Needless to say the auto rev match has no issue, it revs the hell out of the engine in a split second. But I can't seem to.

Is there a limit to how fast the engine can rev with the transmission disengaged depending on the current vehicle speed (and perhaps other criteria as well)? Some table that defines a torque limit in neutral at lower speeds? What should I look at?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Vlad Soare; 02-02-2022 at 06:35 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    There sure is a way to disable it. Most things are right in front of you.

gearshifthang.PNG

You mean the 'gear shift hang'? Is that what causes the engine not to rev when I stab the throttle? I thought that was about the revs coming down more slowly when you take your foot off the gas pedal. Does it actually act both ways?

Advanced Tuner
    Gear shift hang is the rev match.