Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to the tuning AND LS world , will someone take a peek at this tune?

Tuner in Training

new to the tuning AND LS world , will someone take a peek at this tune?

I know I'm asking for answers without the proper logs but I'm wanting to know if I'm on the right track with this tune

I have a 5.3l lm4 , sloppy stage 2 cam, 92mm throttle body, tbss intake, ported 862 heads, shorty amazon headers , 2.5" exhaust, 30lb injectors, and 4l60e 2600 converter, 373s

No O2s at the moment

the truck is slow, zero power and certainly unpleasant to drive, the old stock tbi 350 was way more powerful

I pulled 10% timing and 10% fuel from this tune and it got worse, just looking to make it safe to drive under it's own power and I'm overwhelmed at this point and not sure which direction to go

Any tips or theories or direction would be appreciated so I can better understand what is going on here.

Will be putting a wideband on it soon but I have a 2 hour drive in the morning before that can happen
    Attached Files Attached Files

You added Cam, bigger intake, and free flowing exhaust and pulled 10% fuel?
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner in Training
    Not off a stock fuel table, the fuel table I played around with to this point, this is the tune before I removed fuel / timing, obviously that was not the move lol

Give me a minute...
    Without o2 or anyway to judge your AFR its a total crap shoot.... That being said I'll shoot you something to try incase no one with a similar build chimes in.
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner in Training
    I appreciate this. I did have o2s working before I did the exhaust today. bank 2 was very lean and bank 1 seemed better , I assumed this was because of the open headers. I know it's a bit of a crap shoot but I was looking to see if anything looked abnormal on this tune or maybe something similar to compare to. I am good with a wrench but the tuning world is a whole different game it seems. I've watched a few videos and it is foreign still although I understand the basics I think, went from barely running to driveable just playing around with it

Can you log?
    You can try this, I added fuel (adjusted MAF & VE)...

For Clarification The Tune you posted is stock tune?
    If not this file will not be worth trying

Tuner in Training
    No it isn't the stock tune but it is based off the stock tune , this is stock after I played around with it until I got it driveable. Itll do 75 on the eway just has no power anywhere in the rpm range

Tuner in Training
    does 30 degrees of timing sound like too much cruising? This is at 2500 rpm area at 70-75 mph but noticed it seemed high at partial throttle all the time , if I try getting on it it comes down a little into the 20-26 range

Do you have the stock file?
    If so post it up. I made changes to air flow based on an estimation of your modifications for a "Starter File"...
    I also changed your idle air flow and TPS to enter PE

Quote Originally Posted by milambercondoin View Post
    does 30 degrees of timing sound like too much cruising? This is at 2500 rpm area at 70-75 mph but noticed it seemed high at partial throttle all the time , if I try getting on it it comes down a little into the 20-26 range
    Probably okay in Cruise range

Tuner in Training
    This is the file I started with, it wouldn't run on this , or at least idle

Your Tune says the ECM came from a 2004 Express Van with a 6.0
    But you have a 5.3? I see you changed the displacement to equal a 5.3 but I'm comparing your file to an actual 5.3 from the repository and there are a lot more differences

Tuner in Training
    Yes this is what we had on hand, we didn't flash an entire tune from a stock 5.3 because last time we flashed entire, 2 pcms got bricked, we still don't know exactly how that happened

Tuner in Training
    Hey I appreciate all the help , I know very few people would take the time to analyze what's going on here this in depth, most of it is beyond me currently

No problem
    Let me look at the as found and I'll get back to ya

Senior Tuner
    Which 30 lb injectors are you using?

Maybe give this a try
    I put MAF back to a stock 5.3 then added a little

Tuner in Training
    Thank you very much !!! I will let you know how this fares in the morning, 2 hour trip to make to the shop tomorrow lol

Quote Originally Posted by milambercondoin View Post
    Thank you very much !!! I will let you know how this fares in the morning, 2 hour trip to make to the shop tomorrow lol
    Good luck.
    I see Kevin chimed in, he is a great resource and does remote tuning if you get stuck in your process.

Tuner in Training
    that got it a lot more drivable for the following day when i needed it and I now have the exhaust on and o2s working

, i found my main issue has been my timing table , I pulled some timing and it woke it up a LOT, coming home last night the transmission pump decided to pack up and leave lol. So now I am looking at replacing the pump in the 4l60e.

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the help