Thread: 2012 charger nag1 with 3000 stall converter

Potential Tuner

2012 charger nag1 with 3000 stall converter issues

i am having some issues that are a little over my head i believe. i have a 2012 charger nag1 6.4 hemi with long tubes, high flow catted mid pipes, ported 6.4 intake, 2 steps colder plugs (i realize i probably went a little to far with the plugs, and have a set of factory plugs in my toolbox), cold air intake, slp cat back exhaust, 29.5x10.5r17 hoosier radials and am now having some issues after i installed the 2800-3000 stall converter. i installed the converter and was able to make one real good hit on the street and drive back around the block about 5 miles total of driving. we went and switched out to street tires to drive home and when i backed the car out i let it idle about 10-15 minutes and then when i went to leave i had no drive or reverse. if i let the bus go to sleep i was able to have forward or reverse for about 15 seconds. i ended up getting the car back to my shop and found metal in the pan when i dropped it, nothing terribly huge, but still metal. i have a new factory mopar trans scheduled to be here for monday to be installed. i was just hoping to be able to prevent whatever it was that kept making the car fall into neutral. the tcm reads that the desired gear is never reached, i have no codes and no limp in. i saw many posts saying to not allow lock up until 4th and 5th gear, so i adjusted that. but i just didnt see anyone with an exact concern that i was having and wanted some outside input from someone that knew a little more than me and my coworker know about tuning.
    Last edited by DaneRavel; 03-04-2022 at 11:32 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneRavel View Post
    i am having some issues that are a little over my head i believe. i have a 2012 charger nag1 6.4 hemi with long tubes, high flow catted mid pipes, ported 6.4 intake, 2 steps colder plugs (i realize i probably went a little to far with the plugs, and have a set of factory plugs in my toolbox), cold air intake, slp cat back exhaust, 29.5x10.5r17 hoosier radials and am now having some issues after i installed the 2800-3000 stall converter. i installed the converter and was able to make one real good hit on the street and drive back around the block about 5 miles total of driving. we went and switched out to street tires to drive home and when i backed the car out i let it idle about 10-15 minutes and then when i went to leave i had no drive or reverse. if i let the bus go to sleep i was able to have forward or reverse for about 15 seconds. i ended up getting the car back to my shop and found metal in the pan when i dropped it, nothing terribly huge, but still metal. i have a new factory mopar trans scheduled to be here for monday to be installed. i was just hoping to be able to prevent whatever it was that kept making the car fall into neutral. the tcm reads that the desired gear is never reached, i have no codes and no limp in. i saw many posts saying to not allow lock up until 4th and 5th gear, so i adjusted that. but i just didnt see anyone with an exact concern that i was having and wanted some outside input from someone that knew a little more than me and my coworker know about tuning.
    what's the freeze frame data show. my guess is the converter clutch is NOT locking 100% due to the new friction material being not broken in. which is throwing it into limp mode.

the solution depends on the freeze frame data and what it shows. do a data log. and log for TCC desired slip, and TCC actual slip

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by nmineau View Post
    what's the freeze frame data show. my guess is the converter clutch is NOT locking 100% due to the new friction material being not broken in. which is throwing it into limp mode.

the solution depends on the freeze frame data and what it shows. do a data log. and log for TCC desired slip, and TCC actual slip
    i will do that this evening and update the post. thank you for the input