Thread: please help with my VE

Tuner in Training

please help with my VE

How do I tune the VE table with stock o2's. I've logged 8 times and applied the settings 8 times but the LTFT's don't change (avg. +18%). i have some serious VE going on now (over 130% in most cells), so i know i'm doing something wrong. oddly enough, the car doesn't seem to run much different.

the hptuners help file says this:

The VCM, Closed Loop, LTFTs and VE

The VCM learns in closed loop fuel mode. By keeping the engine in this mode, you can cover enough locations in the histogram to get an overall view of your engines tune. Make slow throttle changes and try and hit as many histogram table locations as possible.

And...

Method 1 using the LTFT and STFT corrections from the scanner histogram data

After you have logged sufficient data, it is now time to look at what changes you need to make. This will require looking at both the LTFT and STFT data on a cell by cell basis

this really confuses me seeing that i've read several threads that say you should disable DFCO, PE, set the MAF to fail, zero out the MAF, but the help file says nothing about doing that. I think i read a couple of threads that said to do it in openloop.

I logged most of my data with DFCO and PE disabled, i set the MAF fail high to 1 hz, and i disabled the DTC's for the MAF. i couldn't zero out the maf table because the car wouldn't run with it like that. I tried it a couple of times with how the HPtuners help file says to with no success.

untimately, i'm a victim of my own ignorance to the VE business.
    1999 Corvette

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    any codes?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    none except for the first time when i had forgot to disable the MAF DTC's.

BTW, the car is a 99 corvette M6 with this cam:

lift 581/588, dur. 224/228, 114LSA
    1999 Corvette

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    might wanna consider investing in a wideband...it'll make tuning so much easier.

Tuner in Training
    i've been thinking that would be the right thing to do. but for FMI, if i had a wideband right now, what is the proper configuration to have the car in to tune the VE.
    1999 Corvette

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    for the most part the guide in the help file is how I tune the VE table with the exception of some very minor modifications...the one in the help file should work nearly flawlessly though.

Tuner in Training
    thx, i'll get a wideband and start from scratch
    1999 Corvette

Tuner in Training
    That guide is great and I have been following it so far. Just 2 things it doesnt talk about.
    1) How should I be driving...it says a "calm" style so no fast throttle movements but does that mean I never floor it? Can someone elaborate on the driving styles I should have in an M6

2) There is no section about WOT tuning does this need to be done too?

Thanks for all the info this site is great and I am slowly learning.

-K

Tuner
    I have gone through similar problems with my 99 'vette. Don't forget that you have TWO ve tables to work with, and make sure you get the right selection when you disable the MAF DTC's. These 2 items have been addressed in other areas in this forum; do a search to be sure you are making the correct changes. Good Luck

I would HIGHLY suggest a wideband. I love my AEM. once I got it and set up logging I had my car mostly dialed in for street driving in about 4 shots. I'm heading to the dyno Monday for WOT tune'n.

I can see how the wide band will help at WOT, since it will let you lean it out to the furthest safe point without going over. How does it help that much with the easy driving. If you just need your trims to be in the neg. and the computer will adjust the rest. How will the wide band help that?
    99Z A4 w/ SS LT's, h/f cats, magnaflow catback, port/polish t/b, egr deleted, ls6 intake, lid, 3.73's, hpt, performabuilt level 1 tranny, 3600 stall, Stage 2.5 (5.3 heads), Torquer 2 cam, 42# reworked injectors, TR6 plugs.

2007 Avalanche LTZ - Catback and Eibach springs

Tuner in Training
    I think b/c you are able to tune your VE tables in SD mode so the LTFT's are off (I think it's more accurate like this). Check out this help file
    http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...to_user_sd.htm