Thread: Joined Up GPS Data Track Map - Only showing partial data

Potential Tuner

Joined Up GPS Data Track Map - Only showing partial data

Hi Guys,

Newbie here. I just purchased Race Render 3 and it is a great product but I am stumped trying to work out how to get the track data to display in full when using joined up video / gps data.

When i import the videos from my dash cam it asks me if i want to extract the embedded gps data and add to the project to which i say yes but it only appears to have the gps data from the first video on screen, also it is showing a load of additional laps under the "draw selected lap" option, I have tried setting this to all and best etc but doesnt seem to be working.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

The Video and GPS data is from a Nextbase 522GW and plays properly in the My Nextbase player in the google maps preview.

I tested the data on https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input and it all comes up correctly.
    Last edited by WaynosDaBoss; 08-10-2022 at 04:10 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    RaceRender seems to always treat the files as separate unless you specifically join them. That's usually fine for data where you see a single value like a bar or text data, but for graphs over time or a track map, you need to see everything.

Do the steps from either of these posts work for you?

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post688467

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post584206

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the input but it's still not working correctly. I have merged them all together into a single file but its not displaying the map correctly and is just showing a flat line now and for some reason it has picked up a load of lap times automatically, it thinks there are 22 laps in the file? How can i just get it to show the map as is point A to point B there are no "laps".

What I dont understand is the with the extracted data Race Render itself has put into text files for each video segment in the video folder i can load them into www.gpsvisualizer.com and it shows me a perfect map so clearly all the data is there.

I am not sure it should be this hard, this is so frustrating!

Advanced Tuner
    Can you post a link to either the data files or the videos? Maybe there's something simple that the program itself just isn't quite doing right.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboBob View Post
    Can you post a link to either the data files or the videos? Maybe there's something simple that the program itself just isn't quite doing right.
    No problem! Any help identifiying the issue is much appreciated.

Here are the GPS Files...

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvXwQ7GFidfhlfQS...8YTNg?e=LOsTaa

One is the merged file in csv format the rest are the individual data files race render extracted from each video.

Strangley the merged file appears as a straight line on gpsvisualizer.com but the individual files show the correct data.

Happy to upload the video files themselves as well if required.

Sepearte Files:

Merged:

And this is what it looks like in the native dash cam app:

Last edited by WaynosDaBoss; 08-13-2022 at 12:29 PM.

Potential Tuner
    I have managed to sort it! Instead of letting Race Render export the GPS data from the video I used a utility called exiftool to extract the data from the orignal dash cam mp4 files. Clearly the built in extract process is a little buggy and needs some improvement.

For refrence the command I used for each video was :

exiftool -p fmt_files/gpx.fmt -ee video.MP4 > out.gpx

Now the joined up and merged data is accurate.

Hopefully this will be useful to anyone else reading this that runs into the same issue.

My track map now looks correct

Potential Tuner
    Hi everyone!
    Is here the best place to ask about why race render 3 doesn't recognise both 20 laps of my kart race? I've loaded(and merged) my videos (with gopro6) but I only see one lap as "outlap" on "Laps" section.
    ps: I already used racerender3 in my previews videos with gopro 6. It worked very fine.

kartone_laps_bug.jpg

tks
    Rodrigo Moraes
    @kartonebr
    Last edited by Rodrigo Moraes; 08-20-2022 at 02:52 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodrigo Moraes View Post
    Hi everyone!
    Is here the best place to ask about why race render 3 doesn't recognise both 20 laps of my kart race? I've loaded(and merged) my videos (with gopro6) but I only see one lap as "outlap" on "Laps" section.
    ps: I already used racerender3 in my previews videos with gopro 6. It worked very fine.

kartone_laps_bug.jpg

tks
    Rodrigo Moraes
    @kartonebr
    In the Config section of your merged Input Data File, you probably need to click on the "Set Start / Finish Point" button and manually select the location on your track that corresponds to the start line. Hopefully once that's selected, it should recognize the individual laps. If that doesn't work, you can always manually edit the lap times (if you have more precise timing than any estimated times via GPS).