Thread: AFR vs. Octane

Tuner in Training

AFR vs. Octane

I am trying to find some sort of chart (if there is such a chart) that could help a guy with the correct AFR to be hitting compared to the octane running. I am @ currently @ 11.1-1 on 93 for my tune but am running 100 octane fuel and trying to find what AFR I should be targeting. I know I can log and watch for spark being pulled throughout the rpm range, but is there a chartr, or formula? Or just trial and error through logging?

TIA...

Advanced Tuner
    Octane doesn't change stoich. Specific gravity will though.

for 100 octane, target the same as 93 for afr (unless its an oxygenated fuel)

Senior Tuner
    Trial and error.

IF it is octane limited on 93 you might can run it leaner than normal with better gas.

A lot of race fuels have different stoich points.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by white1 View Post
    Octane doesn't change stoich. Specific gravity will though.

for 100 octane, target the same as 93 for afr (unless its an oxygenated fuel)
    Yup, totally understand Stoich and that will not change with higher or lower Octane. I was just trying to understand how we go about what AFR to run dependant upon what Octane fuel you are running. I still have yet to see Oxygenated fuel in my area...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Trial and error.

IF it is octane limited on 93 you might can run it leaner than normal with better gas.

A lot of race fuels have different stoich points.
    Yes this is what I plan on doing next time I am able to get some logging in. I am going to lean it out to 11.5-1 and see hoe TheDude likes it!

Use Lambda

Tuner in Training
    99% of pump gasoline in the US is oxygenated. It mostly E10 or 10% ethanol. Lambda scale is best to use.