Thread: Decimal Min to Decimal Degrees

Potential Tuner

Decimal Min to Decimal Degrees

Hello all. I'm Derrick and new to the forum. I've had RaceRender for a while now but need help converting GPS coordinates. My data logger (i2M Chrome Pro2) or I should say, the data analysis tool (Danas) exports Longitude and Latitude "expressed in decimal mins" according to the manufacturer. RaceRender wants decimal degrees. Can anyone help with the conversion formula? Attached is a sample of the values in my data file.

screenshot.JPG

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ESBKLife View Post
    Hello all. I'm Derrick and new to the forum. I've had RaceRender for a while now but need help converting GPS coordinates. My data logger (i2M Chrome Pro2) or I should say, the data analysis tool (Danas) exports Longitude and Latitude "expressed in decimal mins" according to the manufacturer. RaceRender wants decimal degrees. Can anyone help with the conversion formula? Attached is a sample of the values in my data file.

screenshot.JPG
    If RaceRender isn't able to automatically detect the LAT/LON columns, then you may need to edit the data in Excel or Google Sheets in order to get it into a format that it recognizes.

To do that, I'd recommend changing the LAT column name to "LAT DMS", and LON column name to "LON DMS". Then you can create a new LAT column with the following formula (assuming the first LAT DMS value is in cell G3):

Code:
    =LEFT(G3,2) + MID(G3, 3, 2) / 60 + RIGHT(G3,4) / 100 / 60 / 60
    And use this formula for the LON column (assuming the first LON DMS value is in I3):

Code:
    =LEFT(I3,3) - MID(I3, 3, 2) / 60 - RIGHT(I3,4) / 100 / 60 / 60
    You should then be able to select that cell, and click and drag the little square on the bottom right all the way down the entire spreadsheet and have Excel/Google Sheets automatically apply the formula to the corresponding cell in the LAT DMS/LON DMS column.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboBob View Post
    If RaceRender isn't able to automatically detect the LAT/LON columns, then you may need to edit the data in Excel or Google Sheets in order to get it into a format that it recognizes.

To do that, I'd recommend changing the LAT column name to "LAT DMS", and LON column name to "LON DMS". Then you can create a new LAT column with the following formula (assuming the first LAT DMS value is in cell G3):

Code:
    =LEFT(G3,2) + MID(G3, 3, 2) / 60 + RIGHT(G3,4) / 100 / 60 / 60
    And use this formula for the LON column (assuming the first LON DMS value is in I3):

Code:
    =LEFT(I3,3) - MID(I3, 3, 2) / 60 - RIGHT(I3,4) / 100 / 60 / 60
    You should then be able to select that cell, and click and drag the little square on the bottom right all the way down the entire spreadsheet and have Excel/Google Sheets automatically apply the formula to the corresponding cell in the LAT DMS/LON DMS column.
    Thx Bob!!! I tried this formula last night and it worked..... almost. The track seems to be distorted or glitched for each lap. I only see this in RaceRender not the native app. I can only assume values in the file after the formula is applied are being truncated or something? I included another screenshot below. On the left is the layout of the track that I should see. On the right is the track after the formula is applied. The data used for the track on the left is from a GoPro Hero 10. To make this work I've been using two data files. I'd really like to use just the one that contains all the data. I'm more than happy to share the complete data file if you like?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    Hmm...yeah, maybe there are some parsing issues or some weirdness with the exported coordinates that my basic parsing above isn't accounting for. A link to the data files would be helpful.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboBob View Post
    Hmm...yeah, maybe there are some parsing issues or some weirdness with the exported coordinates that my basic parsing above isn't accounting for. A link to the data files would be helpful.
    Here ya go. Thx again!

S3 Data Final cut_2.csv

Advanced Tuner
    I probably should have checked the longitude a little closer and would've noticed that you're already in Decimal Degrees; you're just multiplied by 1000000. So, instead of the complicated formulas above try:

Code:
    =I2/1000000
    and
    Code:
    =J2/1000000
    That seems to look much nicer:
    TrackMap.jpg