Thread: Bad Tune, Or Toasted Transmission?????

Potential Tuner

Bad Tune, Or Toasted Transmission?????

Good day, I acquired a 1996 Lt1 Corvette Auto, that has been tuned and deleted by the PO. When I got it, I already knew there was issues with the tranny (4L60e). He stated that he hooked up an ODB2 scanner to clear codes, and after that moment, the tranny hasn't up-shifted. Is this possible, or do I just have a burnt tranny? Thanks

Also, I would like to add a larger cam,and HP tuners isn't compatible, what would you recommend in it's place?

Tuner in Training
    Do you have a scan tool and need help? Have you taken it to a professional technician? You might get better help over on www.gearhead-efi.com . Lots of guys over there with obd2 lt1 stuff. I also do lt1 stuff. Where are you located? I might be able to refer you.

Chris

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko350 View Post
    Do you have a scan tool and need help? Have you taken it to a professional technician? You might get better help over on www.gearhead-efi.com . Lots of guys over there with obd2 lt1 stuff. I also do lt1 stuff. Where are you located? I might be able to refer you.

Chris

I would like to start tuning, and I'm currently searching for a reputable scan tool/programmer at the moment. And the only thing I come across is a Jet-Tuner. The closest tuner is over and hour away. And the original tuner is over three hours away. The only pro I've taken it to, was the techs at our small town GM shop. They ran a diagnostics on it there.No codes, and it wouldn't take any commands manually, or with the laptop. He reflashed something, but I'm not sure what it was. I'm in a small town called Freer, TX. Thanks
    Last edited by TheKodiak; 08-24-2022 at 03:46 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Is it possible to have ruined the tune and shift points, using an OBD2 scanner and deleting codes?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKodiak View Post
    Is it possible to have ruined the tune and shift points, using an OBD2 scanner and deleting codes?
    No not possible. There is always the option to put a 94-95 OBD1 computer in it and tune it with relatively cheap tuners and cables that are available. Jet DST is rebranded Tunercat OBD2 after the Tunercat owner sold it to them. Their customer support is pretty non existent if you have any problems with it which almost everyone that uses it complains about now. You need to either find someone that has the original Tunercat OBD2 tuner or do the ODB1 downgrade. You will lose some functions like misfire detection and no after cat monitoring. May lose some other thing being it's a Vette as about everyone I know that has done the OBD1 swap has been a F-Body.

This is a good forum for that platform and help with the OBD1 swap.
    http://gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forum.php
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 08-24-2022 at 06:52 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKodiak View Post
    Someone would have to download the tune, edit it, and reload it up. It would take a minimum of 5-10 minutes. A hand held scanner can't do this.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    That site https://www.torqhead.com/index.html has great LT to LS conversion products.

Thanks CranknChrome!