Thread: Basic 4L70E function help needed

Potential Tuner

Question Basic 4L70E function help needed

Hello all! I am here as this is one of the few places that speak about the 4L70E, and I'm a novice with an issue looking for basic info. I am posting here as I was told it is a V8 trans (?).

Background: This is a surplus military turbo-Diesel vehicle, a 2011 General Dynamics M1163 Growler. Size of a Jeep, with a Bosch VW-type non-electronic injection system 2.8L and 4L70E, 241 txfer case. The external inputs appear to be TPS, shifter, and boost(?). No diagnostic port. Trans control is a PCS custom unit for these vehicles, and also controls turbo boost, gauge pack signals, trans cooler fan, etc. No vehicle manuals available, so I'm blind on much of it. PCS will not touch it and won't talk about it, so I will need to learn how it works, how it's different from 4L60E sequencing, and use a different aftermarket (preferred) or GM controller to program.

Issues: It's "working", but shift programming is "rough". 1-2 shifts are harsh, it downshifts too early, boost control is odd, jumps in/out of TCC, etc. Drivable, but no fun.

Questions: I need some basic guidance at basic level, in order to treat this as a hot-rod swap of sorts.
    • How is control different from 4L60E (several aftermarket controllers for that one, but not usable for the 4L70E)?
    • Can a GM ECM be used to cover the necessary functions with only a few inputs?
    • Where can I go for this basic info?

I'm very willing to learn, but need aiming in the right direction. Happy to supply any needed info I have. Thanks!

PM133_avatar.jpg
    Last edited by PSIG; 08-29-2022 at 12:35 PM.