Thread: New injectors now ltft and stft are really low

Tuner in Training

New injectors now ltft and stft are really low

Basically what the title says, lol. I put new 45# injectors in and changed the flow rate vs kpa vac accordingly. Works fine but i can smell maybe the car is a little rich now and my ltft and stft have gone very low, almost down to the -25 mark for stft. They use to not go more then like 5-8 in each direction. I dont know what to do to get them back to normal range where they were. Can someone please help me.

06 A4 LS2 GTO.
    06' BOM A4 Owner!!
    As of 9/17/07
    SI5 Cam, FAST 90, SW LT Headers with off road pipes, Coated
    VIGILANTE Torque Converter 3200 Stall, Dual 3" DMH Electric Cutouts, #45 Injectors with new High Flow Fuel Rails, 100 Shot Dry Nitrous, Magnaflow Cat Back, Volant CAI, BMR Sub Frame Connectors, TSW Thruxtons (18x8,18x9.5), B&M Supercooler, BMR Strut Brace (BOM), Just about every Pedders part, Taylor Red Race Wires, AMW Catch Can, HP Tuners W/Mounted Laptop, Speed Inc. Dyno Tune

Tuner in Training
    If the injectors are scaled right, corrected for the 58 psi pressure these motors run,etc., it'll be the injector offsets. Offset vs. Volts vs. VAC table, the tab right above the one you changed for the injector flow rate.

Basically, the offset is the amount of time that the injector needs to be "ON" before fuel comes out. Some injectors open faster than others, and most likely the ones you put on the car are faster than the stock ones. Even stock injectors can vary widely; the LS7 39 pounders are about twice as fast as the ones on the LS2.

Try and find the info for yours if you can, or at least settings others have used. Most of the time the injector manufacturers just don't give it out, plus it can vary from car type to car type in practice. If you can't find anything online, I'd try lowering the offset some, maybe 10-20% at first, to see if it improves the idle at all. Get idle in the ballpark, then try some drivablity stuff, then WOT after that's in good shape. This is basically a fixed adder, though, so it will after short pulse width situations most, basically idle and low load.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris442
    If the injectors are scaled right, corrected for the 58 psi pressure these motors run,etc., it'll be the injector offsets. Offset vs. Volts vs. VAC table, the tab right above the one you changed for the injector flow rate.

Basically, the offset is the amount of time that the injector needs to be "ON" before fuel comes out. Some injectors open faster than others, and most likely the ones you put on the car are faster than the stock ones. Even stock injectors can vary widely; the LS7 39 pounders are about twice as fast as the ones on the LS2.

Try and find the info for yours if you can, or at least settings others have used. Most of the time the injector manufacturers just don't give it out, plus it can vary from car type to car type in practice. If you can't find anything online, I'd try lowering the offset some, maybe 10-20% at first, to see if it improves the idle at all. Get idle in the ballpark, then try some drivablity stuff, then WOT after that's in good shape. This is basically a fixed adder, though, so it will after short pulse width situations most, basically idle and low load.
    Awesome thanks. I will try to take like 10-20% away from that table and see how the LTFT and STFT look then. It idles pretty good and launchs like it was with stock injectors. I can just smell the car might be a little rich and the LTFT and STFT are way out of wack. Hopefully this will help.
    06' BOM A4 Owner!!
    As of 9/17/07
    VIGILANTE Torque Converter 3200 Stall, Dual 3" DMH Electric Cutouts, #45 Injectors with new High Flow Fuel Rails, 100 Shot Dry Nitrous, Magnaflow Cat Back, Volant CAI, BMR Sub Frame Connectors, TSW Thruxtons (18x8,18x9.5), B&M Supercooler, BMR Strut Brace (BOM), Just about every Pedders part, Taylor Red Race Wires, AMW Catch Can, HP Tuners W/Mounted Laptop, Speed Inc. Dyno Tune

Tuner in Training
    Ok i ave tried messing around with the Offset vs. Volts vs. Vac alot and the Min Injector Pulse. It has gotten a little better but not much. Car idles just fine, i just cant get the LTFT and STFT back to how they were before i put new injectors in. The Injector1 file is just Flow rate adjusted for the new injectors. The injector10 file is with the Offset vs. Volts vs. Vac and Min Injector Pulse played with.

Can some one please take a look at these and help me out. The log file is of the Injector10 settings.
    06' BOM A4 Owner!!
    As of 9/17/07

Tuner in Training
    Bump......Anyone got any ideas on what else i could do???
    06' BOM A4 Owner!!
    As of 9/17/07

What PSI were the injectors rated at?
    If 43.5 PSI (3 bar standard) your IFR is too low.
    If 58.0 PSI (4 bar) then they are still a little low but not that bad.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    What PSI were the injectors rated at?
    If 43.5 PSI (3 bar standard) your IFR is too low.
    If 58.0 PSI (4 bar) then they are still a little low but not that bad.

5.847g/s (46.41lb/hr) @ 400kpa (58psi) is what they are rated at.

When my car went and got a tune from speed inc with everything but the injectors, the stockers were put from starting at 33.xx to 30.xx so i added accordingly like that and that is why they are a little lower then 46.xx begining.

Should i just bump them up?
    06' BOM A4 Owner!!
    As of 9/17/07

Senior Tuner
    First of all, what brand and model # are these injectors? Can you give us more info on them, please?
    Last edited by RWTD; 09-25-2007 at 12:43 AM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Tuner in Training
    I was comparing your IFR table to the stock one from my LS2 GTO, and it looks like you just raised all the numbers by 10.62. It's a percentage thing on the scaling in the table, but it's also not a huge difference. Based on the flow rate you gave, you've got the 46.41 on the wrong end of the scale. In a nutshell, the engine's vacuum sucks more fuel out of the injectors than they would provide at normal atmospheric pressure, like when at WOT. They are rated at a pressure differential of 58 psi over atmospheric. When there's vacuum in the intake, the pressure differential is greater, and they act like they're bigger. As the vacuum number at the top of the table gets bigger, the injectors flow rate increases. I hope that made some sense; I just don't want to be too long and drawn out.

Anyway, check this thread to get an Excel spreadsheet that will do all the work for you:
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4742

As others have said, it would help to know what injectors you have exactly.

Tuner in Training
    They are siemens injectors and the above info is about all i know about them. They have the USCAR plug on them so no adapter cable needed. I bought them from a person that works for the company. They were new. They have alot of different injectors if u search google for them.
    06' BOM A4 Owner!!
    As of 9/17/07

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris442
    I was comparing your IFR table to the stock one from my LS2 GTO, and it looks like you just raised all the numbers by 10.62. It's a percentage thing on the scaling in the table, but it's also not a huge difference. Based on the flow rate you gave, you've got the 46.41 on the wrong end of the scale. In a nutshell, the engine's vacuum sucks more fuel out of the injectors than they would provide at normal atmospheric pressure, like when at WOT. They are rated at a pressure differential of 58 psi over atmospheric. When there's vacuum in the intake, the pressure differential is greater, and they act like they're bigger. As the vacuum number at the top of the table gets bigger, the injectors flow rate increases. I hope that made some sense; I just don't want to be too long and drawn out.

Anyway, check this thread to get an Excel spreadsheet that will do all the work for you:
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4742

As others have said, it would help to know what injectors you have exactly.
    Thanks. I did use the excel spreed sheet for the injecotrs. But i adjusted them to be smaller like how my tune was before, i figured it was better to keep it smaller. Since my 33.xx was made to 30.xx in the starting of the table. So i had these new ones start just like that, on the smaller end.

Tomarrow when i get up in the evening i will adjust the Offset vs. Volts vs. VAC table back to how it was with stock injecotrs, then change my flowrate to the correct 45# setting and see how that goes.

I will try leaving the Min Injector Pulse how i made it, i times it by .95 from the 33# injecotrs, as i figure the new ones have to be a little faster, but i dont have data on it.

Thanks all.
    06' BOM A4 Owner!!
    As of 9/17/07

Senior Tuner
    Since you have the ratings at 58 psi, just take your stock values and ratio by the new injector values:

46.41/33.08279 = 1.4028441978442567872903101582424

Now plug that in and multiply the entire stock IFR table.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RWTD
    Since you have the ratings at 58 psi, just take your stock values and ratio by the new injector values:

46.41/33.08279 = 1.4028441978442567872903101582424

Now plug that in and multiply the entire stock IFR table.
    Ah ya...i did not think of that. That is alot easier, lol. Thanks
    06' BOM A4 Owner!!
    As of 9/17/07

Tuner in Training
    Ok i am making some progress here. I found more information on there website. The Min Linera Pulse is 1.10 to 1.40. Mine was set at 1.00 so i change it to add .10 across.

Now i found the opening and closing times. Opening is 1ms and closing is .7ms.
    Now how do i change my off-set table to refelct this? I dont not know the equation for this.
    06' BOM A4 Owner!!
    As of 9/17/07

Tuner in Training
    I think i may have found my answer. Not sure though.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ght=offset+kpa

Post #77

So my differance is .30. And my highest KPA at 14.0 in my current offset table is .5313. Then i divided the 2 and got .565 So what im getting at do i have to times my entire table by .565 then??

I think im on the right path but dunno.
    06' BOM A4 Owner!!
    As of 9/17/07

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkong401
    I think i may have found my answer. Not sure though.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ght=offset+kpa

Post #77

So my differance is .30. And my highest KPA at 14.0 in my current offset table is .5313. Then i divided the 2 and got .565 So what im getting at do i have to times my entire table by .565 then??

I think im on the right path but dunno.
    Well the x .565 did not work, made the LTFT go way up almost 25+. So im backing down, by upping the number and it is getting better, im now at x .800 and it is starting to level out.
    06' BOM A4 Owner!!
    As of 9/17/07

Tuner in Training
    any one have any suggestions? am i doing the right thing by playing with this table?
    06' BOM A4 Owner!!
    As of 9/17/07