Thread: Clean Air Act - appreciate help

Potential Tuner

Clean Air Act - appreciate help

Hello

absolute 'newbie' here. Appreciate some help.

I asked a trainer coordinator if we could set up a class for tech's that explains the 'Tuning' aspect of OBDII and scan tool usage. The thinking was -- the tuning part will really hold their attention and they would be better tech's as a result in their ability to diagnose computer related problems.

He replies ...."These techniques while intriguing and fun are in direct violation of the Clean Air Act and can and will result in fines in most states."

Can I get some background to counter his claims. PS -- I am Cdn --assuming that Cdn and USA vehicle laws similar? Need a course to be 'legal' for all of North America.

Really appreciate constructive suggestions.

Regards
    Greg H

The "tuning" (ahem: calibration) I do on a daily basis has to be compliant with the clean air act since I work for an OEM supplier. The thing they are most worried about is the defeating of emissions controls systems such as turning off AIR, EGR, or other strategies. In the performance aftermarket, tuning is often NEEDED to maintain good emissions, especially when a certain hardware change affects the engine's pumping efficiency.

Changes to the engine's VE put the physical parts out of line with the electronic world of the PCM. If one calibrates the PCM to correctly reflect the new physical performance of the engine, emissions and fuel economy are once again optimized. These are the exact skills I employ on a daily basis at work and teach in my "Introduction to EFI Calibration" courses around the country. Performance and emissions do not need to be mutually exclusive.

Tuner in Training
    Tuning (calibration) software is sort of like a chainsaw. You can use a chainsaw to cut up your firewood, or you can use it to cut up your mother-in-law. One use is legal, the other isn't. Yes, there are things you can do with HPTuners that are illegal, and both the software and the instruction manual clearly warn you of these. But as eficalibrator said, it can also be used to bring a vehicle into compliance. Like a chainsaw, it all depends on how you use it.
    2003 GMC 1500 rcsb 4WD. LQ4, radix @ 7 psi, FLT Level 5 trans., 3.73 axle, 265 - 75 X 17 tires. Needs more bling.

Tuning (calibration) software is sort of like a chainsaw. You can use a chainsaw to cut up your firewood, or you can use it to cut up your mother-in-law. One use is legal, the other isn't. Yes, there are things you can do with HPTuners that are illegal, and both the software and the instruction manual clearly warn you of these. But as eficalibrator said, it can also be used to bring a vehicle into compliance. Like a chainsaw, it all depends on how you use it.
    Wow.. I didn't know cutting up mother in-laws was illegal, what state is that?

Potential Tuner
    niiice
    - Brendan
    My Truck: 99 Silverado, 4.8, TDs, HP Tuners