Thread: What is the maximum (i.e. safe) redline for an 07 LS2 with mods?

Advanced Tuner

What is the maximum (i.e. safe) redline for an 07 LS2 with mods?

I have an 07 Corvette with about 12000 miles and a six speed automatic. My mods are as follows:

- Vararam CAI
    - Comp Cams camshaft (230/236, 591/601, 113 LSA)
    - Dual valve springs with titanium retainers
    - American Racing longtube headers
    - 3000 stall converter
    - 3.15 differential

Overall I am really happy with how the car runs in the quarter mile (best time of 11.675 so far) although I'm still in the process of getting it fully dialed in.

After getting my wideband installed and doing a WOT scan last Sunday, I noticed that the car was shifting at around 6000rpm during the 2-3 and 3-4 shift. I discovered that the "Hot Engine" settings were most likely the cause as they were both set to 6000. I haven't confirmed it yet on the track but I'm pretty sure that'll fix it.

My question however is whether I can raise my rev limiter (as well as the shift points) higher than the stock value after learning that my valve springs are good for up to 7000rpm.

Has anyone else done this and if so, what did you raise the values to?

Thanks,
    Christopher

Tuner in Training
    I would bump the rev limiter to 7000 rpm. Shift points of at least 6600 rpm. If you were shifting at only 6000 rpm you will definitely be quicker. I'm shifting at about 6800 with my cammed LS2.

Advanced Tuner
    Those numbers are right around what I was thinking but wanted to make sure at least somebody else out there was doing the same.

Thanks,
    Christopher

Advanced Tuner
    Forgot to ask - what kind of times are you getting?

Senior Tuner
    The only concern is lifter plunger not being able to keep up which results in reduced valve lift at high rpm, especially so when used with heavy springs. Since no one currently makes a rev kit for the LS2, the best alternative is to use the LS7 lifters which have a tighter plunger and valving. Lifter plunger depression under load also increases high rpm valvetrain noise that is picked up by the knock sensors as false knock, so be sure to log KR during runs to see if desensitizing the knock sensors is needed.

Besides a loss of lift at high rpm's, you should also be concerned with early connecting rod failure from increased rpm loading. I'd keep it closer to 6500 RPM to be safe, but that's just me. If you ever go into the motor and put good rods/bolts in, high rpm should not be a concern.
    Last edited by BBA; 10-05-2007 at 09:08 AM.

When I got my car it had the cam, upgraded springs (not sure what springs) and headers on it installed and tuned by a tuner who had the rev limiter at 7000. I was not comfortable with this so I bumped it back to stock (6600).
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Senior Tuner
    Now that I think about it, I want to find one of the hydra-rev kits and see if it can be modified to fit under the heads instead of like the old small block under the intake.

Probably have to cut the spring retainer bars to fit in the lifter access holes under the head surface but I bet it would work.

Those things did amazing stuff for high rpm power on tuned port roller cam motors, don't see why they wouldn't do the same for LS series motors, the lifters aren't that much different.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by thesubfloor
    Forgot to ask - what kind of times are you getting?
    I'm running low 12's at about 113 so far, in a GTO. I have gears and some other stuff to install, but I think I will do it over the winter.
    I have never noticed any valve float. I have logged 7100 rpm, highest I have seen. I am comfortable revving this motor to 7000 rpm if needed, but to each their own. The factory redline is 6600, I don't think a couple hundred more rpm is too crazy. I had a LT1 vette with a stock bottom end that I revved to 6800 and never had any problems.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    When I got my car it had the cam, upgraded springs (not sure what springs) and headers on it installed and tuned by a tuner who had the rev limiter at 7000. I was not comfortable with this so I bumped it back to stock (6600).
    Don't be scared, let it spin. lol.

Senior Tuner
    ^
    | Spoken truly as someone who has not had the pleasure of replacing block and heads after a thrown rod/bolt would speak.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BBA
    ^
    | Spoken truly as someone who has not had the pleasure of replacing block and heads after a thrown rod/bolt would speak.
    Yes, and that is what I base my decision on. Do you really think, say 6800 shift points over 6600 will make much difference? I would think if the motor scatters at 6800, it is going to scatter at 6600.
    If your responding to my post reguarding 5 liter, there was an lol at the end.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreFWD
    Yes, and that is what I base my decision on. Do you really think, say 6800 shift points over 6600 will make much difference? I would think if the motor scatters at 6800, it is going to scatter at 6600.
    If your responding to my post reguarding 5 liter, there was an lol at the end.

Ah...didn't notice the lol at the end. About how much RPM it can handle, well, you know GM set's these pretty close to the safe limits of the hard parts. A few hundred RPM can make the difference between lasting out of warranty and lasting only a few years til it let's loose, and there are a few people who have found out the hard way already, because GM won't warranty the repair if they know you modded for higher RPM.