Thread: Z06 Overheat

Tuner

Z06 Overheat

A buddy of mine was at the track this weekend and his serpentine belt slipped off and caused his car to overheat.

He has a 2002 Z06 with the LS6 engine

He pulled off right away and then used a fan to cool it. Since this engine is all aluminum what type of tests should we perform to make sure this engine is not fubar? I was thinking of pulling the plugs to make sure there no coolant in the cylinders and checking the oil for traces of coolant. Also was planning on doing a compression check and then clearing the codes in the VCM. If they pass do a light session and scan the car to make sure it’s ok.

Are there any other tests to perform for an engine that has overheated?

Thanks for the help.
    Joe
    2004 GTP: 3.8L SC, XP CAM, 85MM Maf, 105# Springs, 3.3" Pulley, Autolite 103's K&N CAI, 3" Downpipe: TOG Headers, #39 Cobra Injectors, ZZP Crate motor with CNC Ported Heads, NGK AFX Wideband

If he pulled over right away, he's probably ok. You can compression check to see if the cylinders hold compression. There are block testers that will tell you if combustion gasses are getting into the coolant. If it was my car I would just run it and make sure it doesn't overheat and keep an eye on the coolant level.

Tuner

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. We are going to do a pressure test and also pressurize the coolant system to see if there is any leaks on the head gaskets. If they pass pop in a new tstat and scan away.

2004 GTP: 3.8L SC, XP CAM, 85MM Maf, 105# Springs, 3.3" Pulley, Autolite 103's K&N CAI, 3" Downpipe: TOG Headers, #39 Cobra Injectors, ZZP Crate motor with CNC Ported Heads, NGK AFX Wideband

Did it actually overheat or just get hotter than normal? I am thinking that the LS motor has the same overheat protection as the truck motors but am not 100% for sure. I suppose I could check my owners manual to see if it mentions anything about it.

Tuner

Z06

The gauge was pegged and he said it set off the SES light. This weekend I will be there at the track to see what DTC are set.