Thread: Mostly stock 3800 NA with BAD knock, help?

Potential Tuner

Question Mostly stock 3800 NA with BAD knock, help?

Hi guys, I'm new to tuning and just did a few scans with my HP Tuners but from what I can tell, I think there are some obvious issues with my current tune and I should be able to pick up some real power and gas mileage.

[Logs Attached below]

My mods are just DHP PCM (also have original PCM if necessary), FWI w K&N FIlter, flowmaster mufflers. Its a base GP 3800 (2005 model) so no boost or anything crazy.

Log 3 is a WOT run onto a highway... thats what I'm reffering to mostly below

I go WOT at frame 482 and I get some crazy knock (not sure if its phantom knock or real knock... its different than I've seen in other logs)

Also, I have timing advance up over 40 and knock retard up over 8 at different times. The csv doesn't show the INJ Duty % but in that period of WOT, it gets up to a max of 125! It varries some but hovers near 100% sometimes over sometimes under. Something doesnt seem right... can you offer any help?

Does this look like real knock or is real knock more of a steady increase to a peak and then drop off. What I'm seeing is more of a step pattern, 0->5.5->5->7->6->8->0
    I get the knock under WOT but I also did a scan with cruise control on 60 on the highway and it was knocking pretty steadily a similar pattern peaking at about 4 or 5.

So any ideas?

BTW, Log2 is a highway run for a good portion at about 60MPH and also has some WOT onto the highway and Log1 is some random driving around as the car was warming up.

Potential Tuner
    bump

I also switched back to the stock PCM and I was still getting knock. It wasn't QUITE as bad but still more that I'd expect with an intake and mufflers. It peaked at 6 degrees and under any full throttle, it was constant. At least on the highway I'm not getting knock anymore.

So can anyone offer any help on this?

You need to post your stock & modified tune that are from your scan logs. On the V6 cars, I zero the AFR spark correction table. Then I multiply the High Load knock retard decay table by 4 & multiply the Base Retard table by .75.
    This will help with the false knock.

Russ Kemp

I had an 01 GP GT with an N/A 3800 engine. It had a LOT of KR stock as well. I'm not sure why GM does that to those cars.
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    1995 Jeep Cherokee