Thread: need help with iac counts (stuck at 0 hot idle)

Tuner in Training

need help with iac counts (stuck at 0 hot idle)

Well i am experiencing a rough idle.

-iac counts stuck at 0 hot idle
    -the car cruises without giving it any gas
    -It buck between 1200 & 2000 rpms real bad.

I understand that if the car cruises without giving it any gas i have to multiply the p/n decay table after 10mph by .95.

But how do i get my iac counts up on a hot idle???

And how do i get rid of some of the bucking at light cruise??
    Last edited by 1bad_z28; 11-12-2007 at 12:18 PM.
    00 H/C Black Z28

do you have your throttle blade drilled out or adjusted more open than stock? it would seem to me that's it's getting too much air thru the blade and has no need to open the IAC controller. that's one of the reasons i didn't drill the blade on my BBK TB. i just adjusted the stop set screw. it made it easy to adjust it back when i went too far
    2004 GTO Blk/Rd M6 (Ziggy)

Best ET: 12.390 ET, 112.73MPH, 1.819 60ft

PS, i fixed bucking at light cruise with timing (i added a little in that range) and making sure my AFR was dead on

Tuner in Training
    I know for a fact that the blade isnt drilled at all, but it was adjusted. So do i tighten or loosen this screw to bring the iac counts up?? And where is the location of this screw, is it the one that the throttle blade sits on top of??
    00 H/C Black Z28

it's the one that "stops" the blade from closing all of the way over by where the throttle cable is. you need to back the screw out so the blade closes a little more. when you get it where your IAC steps are like 50-60 or so when hot you should be good.

Senior Tuner
    Verify that it isn't some other deal like an over-snug cable,
    a large vacuum leak (emissions fittings, accessory vacuum
    etc.) too. That big a cam you'd think would want more than
    stock airflow, and if it's zeroed for counts there is a whole
    lot coming in somewhere.

Tuner in Training
    Well i know that my air system was removed and my egr valve assembly isnt there anymore. But i think the A.I.R pump it self is still there because there is a hose that would normally go into the lid is zip tied and the fuse to the pump was pulled. Yes i now my car is a mess!!! I will have to call my mechanic and see what exactly what he did to the car, and i will get back to you. And thankyou very much for your help so far...
    00 H/C Black Z28

Tuner in Training
    Well i baceked out the screw and it didnt help at all. I checked for vacuum leaks but i didnt find any. By looking closely at the throttle body it does appear to be drilled. Can i just put tape over the hole(making the hole smaller i mean) to bring the counts up??
    00 H/C Black Z28

Tape? I wouldn't risk that. A better method would be to break out the solder iron and fill the hole, and then redrill as necessary to a smaller size.

Tuner in Training
    Does anyone who the size of the stock hole in the throttle body??
    00 H/C Black Z28