Thread: 3400 V6, 1999 vs. Later VCMs

3400 V6, 1999 vs. Later VCMs

This is a difficult problem to even explain, so please bear with me on this.

As I kept putting more performance mods on my car ('99 Alero V6), everyday drivability kept getting worse (no surprise there). In particular, the idle was not stable, especially on a hot start-up-- had to keep throttle open a bit till it got into gear. I was able to band-aid the problem by introducing a controlled vacuum leak just after the supercharger. A couple years ago, A friend reflashed a spare VCM with a copy of his stock 2001 Alero program. I put that in my '99, and got perfect drivability. But using the 2001 VCM has two glitches--the Charge warning light and chime come on because the alternator wiring is different in the '99. And I can't change the coolant fan settings in the '01 VCM, but I can with the '99.

Recently I added an intercooler and upped the boost, and the problem is more severe.
    The worst symptom is, I'm at a stop, step on the gas, and you hear a little rush of air, and the engine stumbles or dies. The faster you hit the pedal, the quicker it dies. If I set the target idle to 800 rpm or more, I can drive the car, but it still has some hesitation and runs rough. I put the '01 VCM program back in, runs fine.

I have tried copying every engine and trans table from the '01 program to the '99 VCM with no luck. Would appreciate any help.
    1999 GLS MP90 supercharged / 2003 GL MP62 supercharged / 2004 GLS stock
    Magnuson MP90 / TOG's / 3 in. Magnaflow exhaust / MSD ignition / LS1 MAF / Racetronix pump / HP Tuners / TCE 68mm TB / 36 lb Inj
    = Best track time: 12.951 @ 104.48, 1.839 60 ft. (Beech Bend Raceway Park, 11-23-13), 50 Deg. F
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk

Quote Originally Posted by AleroB888
    This is a difficult problem to even explain, so please bear with me on this.

As I kept putting more performance mods on my car ('99 Alero V6), everyday drivability kept getting worse (no surprise there). In particular, the idle was not stable, especially on a hot start-up-- had to keep throttle open a bit till it got into gear. I was able to band-aid the problem by introducing a controlled vacuum leak just after the supercharger. A couple years ago, A friend reflashed a spare VCM with a copy of his stock 2001 Alero program. I put that in my '99, and got perfect drivability. But using the 2001 VCM has two glitches--the Charge warning light and chime come on because the alternator wiring is different in the '99. And I can't change the coolant fan settings in the '01 VCM, but I can with the '99.

Recently I added an intercooler and upped the boost, and the problem is more severe.
    The worst symptom is, I'm at a stop, step on the gas, and you hear a little rush of air, and the engine stumbles or dies. The faster you hit the pedal, the quicker it dies. If I set the target idle to 800 rpm or more, I can drive the car, but it still has some hesitation and runs rough. I put the '01 VCM program back in, runs fine.

I have tried copying every engine and trans table from the '01 program to the '99 VCM with no luck. Would appreciate any help.
    I don't know that this is a tuning issue so much as a problem with another part. Are you out flowing your maf? Your injectors (though this would likely net you knock more than stumbling)? Do you have a vaccum leak else where you don't know about? (that happened to me with my 04 GTP, btw) It's hard to determine what the problem is when you've added something like a supercharger, but you don't list everything you've changed with it. If your sig has everything you've changed, you may be missing some things. I don't know that the MAF of an alero can handle that, but I'm not that sure. It could be a million and one things to be honest. Did the problem start directly after the S/C? Did it start before it? Was there a particular part that influenced the problem more than others? I'd look at what the differences are in the 99 vs the 01 PCM for the Aleros. That might give you a bigger clue as to what you need to tune or modify in or on the engine.
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    1995 Jeep Cherokee

Tuner in Training
    maybe its you're maf.
    ask on the the other websites like www.Nbodypower.com,
    www.Aleromod.com
    or
    60v6.com
    They may help you

Any chance we can see a scan and your current HPT file?

I have seen this before in the Alero's and may be able to help you out.
    Regal GS Site Owner / HPT Moderator / FTV6 Mod

I'm still working on this problem, but I need to take it one step at a time. Can anyone tell me if these tables are the correct Stock configurations for 1999 Alero/Grand Am V6 ?

The kPa scale starts at 20, but in the 2001 model there are columns for 10 and 0 kPa.
    Also the VATS setting shows PWM for the 1999, but the 2001 model setting is Serial.
    I read in another thread that some of the V6 tables were originally not set up right in the Editor software. Could that be the situation here? I have not downloaded the latest HP tuners version due to PC problems.
    1999 GLS MP90 supercharged / 2003 GL MP62 supercharged / 2004 GLS stock
    Magnuson MP90 / TOG's / 3 in. Magnaflow exhaust / MSD ignition / LS1 MAF / Racetronix pump / HP Tuners / TCE 68mm TB / 36 lb Inj
    = Best track time: 12.951 @ 104.48, 1.839 60 ft. (Beech Bend Raceway Park, 11-23-13), 50 Deg. F
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk

Senior Tuner
    Attachment 9774

VE table for 01 stock Grand Am

What you have posted looks like a stock table for a 99, and with 2.0 you see what you have, no extra
    Last edited by MMGT1; 12-12-2007 at 06:32 PM.