Thread: 01 Trans Am

01 Trans Am

Hey. Trying to do a little tune on my sister's car for her. I normally drive an 04 GTP Comp G, so this is an entirely new beast for me. What I'd like to do is disable all torque mgmt for her. In addition, I'd like to know what you guys would suggest for a mild tune on a stock T/A as far as timing advance for the high octane (she sometimes runs low against my suggestion, but I don't think it'd be safe to actually edit the low octane table for more power). Any other advice on a tune for the car would be appreciated. Thanks!
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    1995 Jeep Cherokee

the octane tables have nothing to do with the octane you are running, it is based off the knock learn factor. More knock, the more it uses the low octane table.

I would not recommend removing the TM if it is a factory auto. Only thing worth while you can do is check the a/f ratio and optimize that, along with modifying the timing table to give the best results. Without and logs or info, there is really nothing else we can say.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    the octane tables have nothing to do with the octane you are running, it is based off the knock learn factor. More knock, the more it uses the low octane table.

I would not recommend removing the TM if it is a factory auto. Only thing worth while you can do is check the a/f ratio and optimize that, along with modifying the timing table to give the best results. Without and logs or info, there is really nothing else we can say.

Yeah, I have logs, just on my laptop. I'll post them tonight, but they are setup for my GTP, not her T/A, so I'm not sure if I'll have all the info needed.

As for the octane tables, seeing as how she runs low octane, I'm fairly certain it's not leaving the low octane table for timing. Like I said, I don't really want to touch that one. She swears the owners manual says that the car is setup to run better on low octane and doesn't gain anything from high octane, and doesn't believe me when I point out the different tables and how one shows more timing.

Not remove TM? The stock auto should be able to handle the power output of a stock LS1, right?
    1995 Jeep Cherokee

The stock tranny sucks.

Not only the tune, but the cylinder pressures of the LS1 need to run a higher octane. You can drop the timing back, give the car less power, make it more inefficient, and run lower octane, but that is a waste. Tell her to just run some good gas in there or sell it to me lol
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

The stock tranny sucks.

Not only the tune, but the cylinder pressures of the LS1 need to run a higher octane. You can drop the timing back, give the car less power, make it more inefficient, and run lower octane, but that is a waste. Tell her to just run some good gas in there or sell it to me lol

LOL. Na, it's an unlucky car. It's been in two rather hard rear impacts that weren't her fault. Once, at a stop light, someone slammed into her. The other, she hit some black ice on a curve, went off the road and into a tree, and the car behind her followed her and hit her. I'd buy it from her if she was selling, but I'd be afraid it'd kill me. LOL I always tell her to use higher octane but she said her owners manual says the car will gain nothing from high octane.
    1995 Jeep Cherokee

The owners manual tells you to run high octane

The owners manual tells you to run high octane
    That's what I told her. She doesn't listen. Oh well. Then she has the nerve to wonder why our cars are so close in a race.
    1995 Jeep Cherokee