Thread: wideband afr fluctuates alot

wideband afr fluctuates alot

just got wideband hooked up through my egr.

my afr fluctuates ALOT. at idle, cruise, everywhere (12-23, 23 is the highest it will read) except WOT. at wot it stays around 10.5-10.8)

its a new setup, just installed the cam and is running off e85.

what could be causing this? i dont think it should fluctuate that much, i know i still have tunning (maf and VE) to do, but the maf tune is in the ballpark right now

side not on afr. im using 14.7 as 1 lambda. so even though it says 10.8 at wot, thats not the true afr with E85, but it is .73 lambda. i do need to lean it a hair.
    Last edited by starks; 02-03-2008 at 09:49 PM.

looking at the scan....it seems like when the stock narrowband is reading low the wideband is reading high.

they almost seem to follow eachother, im using 2 seperate 02 sensors, stock narrowband and a bosch 17014 wideband.

could a bad stock narrowband be causing the issue? if its switching slow or something?

You mean stock O2 has low mV when the WB AFR is numerically high? That is correct. Lower mV = leaner.

Where is the WB located? Could be picking up air from somewhere other than the exhaust.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

what i mean is the WB is cylcing like it was a narrowband. but when i get on it, or reach PE it locks in like an narrowband 02 would. idle and cruise, normal acceleration it cylcles

the stock narrowband 02 is right at the downpipe, where it starts going horizontal (vs downwards to clear the firwall) the wideband is about a foot back, right in front of the catalytic converter.

Tuner in Training
    Did you connect the correct wire from the WB to the EGR? I don't know what WB you have, but the LC-1 has 2 wires for output. 1 is for NB simulation and the other is for WB output
    Mike (MOJO)

2003 GTP, L36 swap, TOGs extremes, ZZP stage 3 heads, SSIC, ZZP Ported Blower, 3.0/3.2 pulley, XP hot cam w/ 105#, 42.5# injectors, N* w/ 85mm MAF, Meziere Water Pump.
    Need more info, follow link below

Mod List
    http://www.jscgp.com/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=5

http://www.jscgp.com

its a JAW (14point7.com) and has 2 programable outputs. both outputs are fluctuating.

i believe i have a small exhaust leak, pre 02 at the slip connection. i will be fixing that tonight.

i got the leaks fixed and the wideband still fluctuates. idle, cruise. everywhere except startup and PE.

could it be the cam? its a VS (smaller cam, but still a bit bigger then stock)
    Last edited by starks; 02-09-2008 at 10:13 AM.

I have a question before I put mine.

I have the 6 wire LC-1..How do I ground my EGR input correctly?

I don't have analog output ground wire..Can I use any ground like all other grounds in the car?

I ask because I don't want to be in this issue.

Thanks for the info!!

I'm not sure with the 6 wire LC-1 but I don't think you need to worry. My AEM and my JAW just have power, ground which go to 12V switched and body ground, all the sensor wires which go to the sensor, and an output or output wires. These outputs don't have their own ground, so they just get spliced into the EGR/AC pressure wire to the PCM. Where you need to worry about ground offsets is with the EIO version.
    Bill Winters

Starks: Sorry I lost track of this thread; It sounds like you're just seeing closed loop adjusting the AFR. Makes sense since it reads steady in PE and when cold (when ou're in open loop since the ECT temps to enable closed loop have not been met).
    Bill Winters

Quote Originally Posted by muayyadf1
    I have a question before I put mine.

I have the 6 wire LC-1..How do I ground my EGR input correctly?

I don't have analog output ground wire..Can I use any ground like all other grounds in the car?

I ask because I don't want to be in this issue.

Thanks for the info!!
    How i wired mine (6 wire LC1) after some indepth reading is all ground/negative wires with the o2 reset button/led linked to the one ground cable and ran it straight to the negative battery terminal (how and why is beyond me, could have made it simpler with 1 cable to replace 3) and the positive heater wire to the positive battery terminal, all there is left is the wideband positive and simulated narrowband positive to the MPVI module
    i can post photos later if you want some visual detail, cheers Bryan
    Last edited by driftnpow; 03-30-2008 at 10:29 AM.

I lost track of it too. i sent my wideband back for repair and still haven't gotten it back. sent it 2/14.

kinda put tunning on a hold until i get it back

Sorry, dumb question, can an improperly grounded WB cause this fluctuation or would it just not read?
    99GTP: Flowmasters, ZZP Power log & Ported rear, 9.5:1, Bored over .010, removed balance shaft, Dbl roller chain, Intense S1X, custom ported heads, 45#inj., 105lb springs, 1.7 rockers, A103's, 180-stat, Gen V swap, 97 Cadillac TB & Custom machined alum. spacer, 95 GTP Hood louvers
    97GTP: Stock engine, 95 GTP Hood louvers

Tuner in Training
    Reviving this old thread - Did you ever find the solution?