Thread: Would you use these?

Senior Tuner

Would you use these?

Got an issue of "Popular Science" and they had a page on these in it. Anyone here seen or tried these yet?

http://www.pulstarplug.com/index.html

Dam expensive too, $25 each!

Why? They're spark plugs. It either sparks & starts a flame or it doesn't (very unlikely with the individual coil setup).
    Always Support Our Troops!

A vendor on the corvetteforum actually got a demo set of these and dynoed a car back to back against some NGK's. I honestly can't remember the results, I think they picked up minimal power (<5 HP) but I do remember what was interesting was the KR. They got unusual KR and attributed it to the fac that the pulstars were pretty much doing what they said they were and it had changed the flame front that would have required them to spend some time re-do'ing the timing curve.

I dug it up: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1827136
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

I wouldnt. Thats just as homo as dodges' two plugs per cyl hemi idea.

Just as EC said, in simplest terms, you either get an explosion in the cylinder or you dont. The only way you wont burn everything is by opening a valve too early and letting gas flow right on thru. (read: cammed) Also, If you're running a cammed car, the owner is USUALLY not worried about mpg's. And an approx 5hp gain (sometimes) is not worth the price of those plugs.

...but then again, anything is better than Champions.

And electrons will always take the shortest path of resistance regardless of how much voltage you put on them.
    I used to call the MSD 6A and above the "El Paso Arc Welder" because of the voltage they hit the plugs with...
    If they were that good the Fuelers would use `em. But then again they are pretty much dieseling at the top end of the run since the ground electrode vaporized away during the run... LOL

ha, "only $25 each". Should take the only out of there lol

That is a rip off. I don't buy it. Give me a set of those plugs to put on a car with the same tune and we will see. The changes in their fueling could be the changes in the car from run to run too. Don't believe everything you see on the internet.

They also claim $8 per hp, so a 25 hp gain? This is like one of those stupid infomercials you see on a Saturday afternoon or late at night haha
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Senior Tuner
    Good info guys, and the link to the Corvette forum was a pretty good read as well. I was a little taken by the ad in "Popular Science", and wanted to see what the general take on these was. As most of you know I'm in a cammed car but was curious if they may be useful for the daily driver. Guess a set of Autolites will do just fine!

Paul

I swear spark plugs cause more controversy amongst car guys than any other single part.
    2001 Corvette Z06

air filters too
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

And headers... And...

Nah, that is easy for F-bodies, QTP HVMC. I have done the testing to prove that too, 30 ft-lbs over another header at 3000 RPM says it all

in the end though, you are still right, there are so many posts about that haha

Senior Tuner
    Gotta love post #41. Some will believe anything, especially when they own a Vette (wait, I own one!).
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

James, when are you getting your Pulstars??

Senior Tuner
    I'm running the NGBosch V-Power +16s (16 firing tips, and V-groove to ensure optimum ignitability!). They also incorporate "Al-U-Min-Nium" (it's an "outer space" material that may have killed the amoebas here on Earth after the Big Bang!).
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Most people don't understand what a spark plug is, or what it is supposed to do.

Here is the REAL DEAL.

They have many more fine products aimed towards the typical performance wannabe, too!

Good engineering is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw.