Thread: permanent Knock Retard ??

Advancing Timing Despite Knock Retard

On my cavalier Z24 with Superchanrger, i am still seeing KR under HEAVY ACCELL in WOT. like 100% tps.. 7psi / 140kPa....

i seem to get this no mattter what fuel i am running... and no matter what the conditions.

more interestingly.... i hooked hpt up to 2 of my friends cavy Z24's both stock... running 87 octane...

they both show the EXACT same knock retards at the exact same places.

so i just wonder is this just a cavy thing? and it isnt really knock, just some sensor error or something?

I am trying to get my hands on some super high octane gas... like race fuel or someting. see if that effects it.

also i copied my high octane chart to the low octane... and this didnt seem to change my knock either. i am about to do the reverse as well...

but why would 3 different cars, completely different setups, and running different fuels, all show the same KR at the same places...
    Last edited by ksoggs; 04-11-2008 at 11:59 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Have you tried taking out timing in this specific location on the HIGH OCTANE/LOW OCTANE tables to see if it goes away or persists? I log the vehicle under load, watch the KR* pop up, pull over, adjust my octane tables. Rinse/Wash/Repeat until you have adjusted all knock out. Keep in mind it may not be the best thing for maximum power. This is just a way to get rid of it. You could also try adding more fuel in these areas. Honestly either of these ways are not the best way...just an option!

timing around knock....

now i am just curious.... is there an advantage to removing the timing manually in the tables? ir is it just as good to let the KR kill it for you?

The way i see it, KR is kinda like "closed loop" for timing... if it gets unsafe, it automatically changes it for you till it is safe again.

I notice that i seem to get knock no matter what at certain times. even running real retarded timing and high octane fuel....

So i am not sure if i will ever get all the knock out...

but i notice that 95% of the map, i can go crazy addding timing and i dont get any knock at all.... but there is that 5% where i get KR no matter what...

So i was just thinking maybe i should just keep hiking the timing up till i get real knock... and then just set the KR to be able to take out a whole bunch of timing...

like right now i have added over 6* in general... and on 91 oct i still am knock-less for 95%. so just thinking... and the other 5% i maybe hit 4% KR.. sometimes peaks to 6% quickly.

So what if i add another 4* overall.... but also up the knock limit an equal amount... so bump it from 6 to 10... that way it can still drop it down to where it is now if needed....

I just know my engine has more room for advance.... but i just worry about these few spots... but want to keep pushing the rest of it.

what do you think?

would this work? or is there a better way to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by ksoggs
    what do you think?

would this work? or is there a better way to do this?
    I think you should get it on a dyno so you can see if you are actually making or losing power... As for the knock you are seeing, I have seen quite a few Quads/Twin cams that get phantom knock.. What cells are you seeing this at? Are you at WOT when you are getting it?

P&P Tuning