Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recomended O2s

Advanced Tuner
    Most people in this section were powrtuner users one time or another including myself. I sold mine when i bought a new laptop with vista and Charles stated he would not be working on a fix. I would have sold it by now anyway because i moved to a gto. You could recoup most your money by selling your pt on clubgp. Honestly, the best money i spent on either of my cars was hpt. But to me it dosnt matter what hardware you have, your trying to get to the same goal. That being said, i personally would not use a nb to tune.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by krunchss
    See I never knew that before. I thought the only thing you were using a WB for was to more accuratley measure O2s at WOT. Hence the original name for this thread. Hey I need to be looking at O2s in the 915-930 range with my IC, as soon as I start tuning WOT, that will be my goal, error on the rich side with the NB, and upgrade into a WB to perfect the tune in that area.

So my next question is, is there a link that I can read on how to apply a WB to my short term goals. Remember, I have to apply this knowledge to the DHP platform for now. Plus I also would also need to get a WB working with the DHP platform to log it, which there have been several posts about obn teh DHP forum that the A/D on the powertuner seems to be hit and miss based on the software version you are using. Yet another hurdle I would need to surpass to obtain the WB data to be able to use it.

Krunch
    Since, i havnt owned a pt in over 2 years now it will be hard for me to exactly say since i dont remember everything. Basically for a maf tune you need to scan for commanded afr ,actual afr and maf hertz. you would need to set up a spreadsheet or in my case write it all out since im not a computer wiz. Figure out the % difference between actual and commanded and make that % change in the corresponding maf cell. Thats it.

Does your pt have the analog inputs?

take this for what its worth.

toss the PT. (i gave one away)
    yeah, its that bad in comparison to hpt.
    your trying to absorb out dated technique and the support that it had at one point in time is gone.
    as you mentioned above even the more knowledgable tuners that were previously PT bias have stepped into a better, more productive set up.
    HPT's copy and paste features of the histograms alone are worth it. the time and effort savings involve with this single feature will make your life alot easier.
    tuning will become fun, not a chore.
    Cost impact. yeah, sure, you need to purchase the program.
    but you very well could save that amount of money in fuel costs from the time/driving savings involved between the 2 systems (no joke)

again, for what its worth.
    your wasting your time on the "old" setup.
    good luck in your endevours
    dan

Senior Tuner
    Just an FYI, and "I HOPE" this doesn't send you guys into a frenzy, on my car, 2000 Grand Am(heads,cam,bla,bla,bla) at WOT my narrow would report between 890-920mv. With it WB tuned my narrow now reads in the 940 range aiming 13:1.
    I then used the wide band on another 3400 Grand Am and aiming for 13.1 his narrow band now reads in the 910-920 range. Both cars have been checked several times and the info is right.
    In my v6 if the trims are out at all in the cruise range, it will carry that error into PE mode, throwing the PE tune out the window. When tuned with the WB the lower section of the MAF would be out by a couple of % when I would go back to closed loop(re-installing the NB). What I had to do to clean this up was to use the narrow band (LTFT+STFT) to tune the lower section of the MAF and then use the wide band to set up the upper section. Even if the wide band is dead on and then the narrow is out by the slightest bit it will mess with delivered fuel at WOT. So, for 7500hz and under I would trust the narrow band(this is what your car will be reading anyway!!), then when you get your wide band, go for the tuning above 7500hz. This is from my own experience, what any of you actually do, is completely up to you! There are many ways to "Skin a cat", just don't get too much fur in your mouth....

Tuner
    I'd really love to see people calibrate cold start, COT, and AE enrichment with narrowbands.