Thread: Curing shift CLUNK in 2005 Tahoe

Tuner

Curing shift CLUNK in 2005 Tahoe

My 2005 tahoe has that dreaded CLUNK every time it shifts. I've read that some people have cured it with a custom transmission tune. Does anyone know what changes I need to make in order to help this situation?

I've thought that maybe the "Desired Shift time Vs Torque" tables could help this, but am not sure. I changed all values down to .200, and increased line pressures by 10% and the clunk got worse. So maybe I need to lower shift pressures instead?

Thanks for any input.

GM tried to fix this on the 05 vehicles and ended up making the trans a bit weaker in the process. The Clunk is just something that you have to live with with a 4L60E.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner
    The clunk appears to come from the Driveshaft to Transfer case slip yoke. When shifting from D to R, R to D, D to R, there is an obvious LOUD clunk. It appears that there is too much slop in the splines. When driving, the 2-3 shift sounds more like a hammer slap onto the frame of the Tahoe. Not the typical clunk I'd think GM would find to be normal.

Maybe I'll try lowering the 2-3 shift pressure instead of raising it.

I had a loud clunk and pulled the rear drive shaft and packed the splines with "a lot" of synthetic wheel bearing grease. Still not perfect but a huge difference in the right direction.
    2010 Avalanche 4WD; AES 390; Mast LS3 heads; VVT Cam; ported TVS2300; Overdrive 8 rib pulleys; 2.7 snout pulley; ID1000; LS3 TB; WB 450; Twin MM cans; built 6L80; CircleD Triple Disk, CSR flexplate; Trucool 40K; Aeroforce Dual; AFX

Tuner in Training
    I replaced my U joints and everything was back to normal.
    Nitrous is like a hot blonde with a STD. You wanna hit it, but you're afraid of the consequences.

RCSB GMC SIERRA 00 6.0 lq4/4l80E
    B&M tranny cooler-Volant intake-Auburn posi-SPE-TB4-Cam (232/234 .561/.566) 115-Comp 918 Springs-E/Fans-Hptuners-Caltracs-4/6 DJM-TR55s-TB Bypass-Pacesetter LT's-ASP Crank/Alt Underdrive. 316RHWP 322 RWTQ New cam on the way with 3200 stall.