Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 255 limit NOT present on 2009 Cobalt SS?

Tuner
    The GMPP flash has always been editable, this thread is about the stock 2009 LNF OS.
    Chris White
    www.GTOShiftLight.com
    2006 GTO Spice Red A4
    2012 Jeep SRT8
    2013 SRX Custom IPC/BCM/CUE
    2013 XTS4 Custom IPC/BCM/CUE Auto High Beams
    2013 Volt Custom IPC/BCM/Radio

the limit looks higher on 07 & 08 as well.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner
    Interesting, now find COT so I can shut it off for banzai pulls hehehe
    Chris White
    www.GTOShiftLight.com
    2006 GTO Spice Red A4
    2012 Jeep SRT8

Just my limited input...

I've only tuned 1 ea. of '08 and '09 Cobalt LNFs. When comparing the stock cals, I noticed that the GM OS cal# differed, yet a HPT compare show NO differences. Anyone seen this??

Good engineering is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw.

Tuner
    HPT can compare almost anything
    Chris White
    www.GTOShiftLight.com
    2006 GTO Spice Red A4
    2012 Jeep SRT8

Tuner in Training
    From a previous post I made...

"I did a compare of a stock 2008 HHR SS file and GM Stage 1 file and the first thing I noticed is that The HPT software is only looking at 69 of 114 parameters. Of the 69 it looks at there are only 15 differences with 54 similarities.

I'm guessing there are a lot more than 15 parameters that have changed.

I wonder if the 2 sensors and harness are available without buying the entire kit."

So I found a lot more no "No" differences Benny.

CHRIS/BILL, do you think I need to buy the GM Stage 2 kit that includes 3 bar sensors, in order to to exceed the 255kpa by using HPtuners and download the beta that Chris will soon develop?

or with this new 512kpa discovery, will I just need my HPtuner and wait for the beta that will later be developed, and just purchase 3 bar sensors (without buying the gm stage 2 kit)? so I can boost around 25-26psi without worrying about the limp mode?

In other words, do I need this GM Stage 2 kit or not to boost higher?

thanks!
    upgrading to COMPOUND TURBO SET-UP (GT2871r & GT4294r) , hoping to get 700whp DD

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4390942&v=wall

SPONSORS:
    baldturbofreak.com
    nitrofreeze.com
    forgestar.com
    splitsec.com
    nitrousexpress.com
    k1technologies.com
    driveshaftshop.com
    supertechperformance.com
    rceng.com
    specclutch.com
    statusracing.com
    tceperformanceproducts.com
    burnsstainless.com
    BATES ENGINEERING

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sky888 View Post
    CHRIS/BILL, do you think I need to buy the GM Stage 2 kit that includes 3 bar sensors, in order to to exceed the 255kpa by using HPtuners and download the beta that Chris will soon develop?

or with this new 512kpa discovery, will I just need my HPtuner and wait for the beta that will later be developed, and just purchase 3 bar sensors (without buying the gm stage 2 kit)? so I can boost around 25-26psi without worrying about the limp mode?

In other words, do I need this GM Stage 2 kit or not to boost higher?

thanks!
    The stock LNF sensors are 2.7 bar. The Stage kit includes 3 bar sensors. According to Bill Duncan, there is a necessary headroom on the sensors... but I'm not sure how much headroom is needed. If it's more than 0.15 bar (2.7 - 2.55), then yes, you'll want bigger sensors.

The limp mode comes in from several angles, however, not just blasting over the MAP sensor range... so more will be needed to avoid limp (see GTPprix's request above).

Quote Originally Posted by XXL View Post
    The stock LNF sensors are 2.7 bar. The Stage kit includes 3 bar sensors. According to Bill Duncan, there is a necessary headroom on the sensors... but I'm not sure how much headroom is needed. If it's more than 0.15 bar (2.7 - 2.55), then yes, you'll want bigger sensors.

The limp mode comes in from several angles, however, not just blasting over the MAP sensor range... so more will be needed to avoid limp (see GTPprix's request above).
    yup, I know that the stock sensors are only 2.7 bar, and the stage 2 kit is 3 bar.

but I want to know if I need to pay $600++ for a couple of sensors and a re-flash tune (plus use my HPtuner and get the latest beta that chris will soon develop).........in order to boost higher without going into limp mode?

or I can just wait for the new beta that HPT is developing (512 kpa max for the ecm), and just buy a couple of aftermarket sensors (4 bar), to enjoy the power of my GT3076 turbo, and boost higher without worying about the limp mode?
    upgrading to COMPOUND TURBO SET-UP (GT2871r & GT4294r) , hoping to get 700whp DD

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:
    baldturbofreak.com
    nitrofreeze.com
    forgestar.com
    splitsec.com
    nitrousexpress.com
    k1technologies.com
    driveshaftshop.com
    supertechperformance.com
    rceng.com
    specclutch.com
    statusracing.com
    burnsstainless.com
    BATES ENGINEERING

Advanced Tuner
    I suggest you wait till Chris is finished with the code, he did mention he found the overboost part in the ecm.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by shabby View Post
    I suggest you wait till Chris is finished with the code, he did mention he found the overboost part in the ecm.
    Now if I could just get more than like 19 PSI at 6500 RPM LOL Lots o' volume but man it would be cool to hold 23 at redline hehe
    Chris White
    www.GTOShiftLight.com
    2006 GTO Spice Red A4
    2012 Jeep SRT8

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GTPprix View Post
    Now if I could just get more than like 19 PSI at 6500 RPM LOL Lots o' volume but man it would be cool to hold 23 at redline hehe
    i think you should run 28 up to 7k way way way better!!!! btf i believe is doing a gt4088r to 34psi with additional fuel injection hahaha crazy mf!!
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GTPprix View Post
    Im at 32lbs/min past 6000rpm at 18-19psi, i doubt our turbo can reach 23psi at that rpm. If it would it would probably be at a much lower efficiency, time to upgrade

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by shabby View Post
    Im at 32lbs/min past 6000rpm at 18-19psi, i doubt our turbo can reach 23psi at that rpm. If it would it would probably be at a much lower efficiency, time to upgrade
    Agreed, with the cold temps assuming my MAF cal is pretty close I'm showing ~36 (just barely cresting 37 sometimes) lbs/min of air at the top of third at 19 PSI I'm just flat out of turbo LOL DOH!
    Chris White
    www.GTOShiftLight.com
    2006 GTO Spice Red A4
    2012 Jeep SRT8

Advanced Tuner
    Honeoye,Ny. Boondox son. Shoot guns out my back door. noone cares.
    Ko4+'s show around 38lbs/min at those kpa's.
    At the bottom is forum member Hiltu's CBSS with KO4+. I'm helping him reduce midrange compressor surge, and the occasional rich pop.
    If we get overboost control, I belive he will have swallowed this turbo whole by 25psi. (~40.7lbs/min)

Antonio,
    wait unil CHris is done with the next beta. Dont buy the GM kit right now.
    If we get the overboost/underboost tables along with perhaps the MAP/TMAP constant + adder's the need for the gmpp kit will be nil. (at least for guys like us, IE big snails- Dont give a hoot about warrantee)

If we're given access to at least those, I already have MAP,TMAP and pigtails worked out for 350kpa. If I wanna do some surgery we can rock 4bar.

Cobalt overbooster- Yup Gt4094R feeding into a KO4+. Compound setup. INsta-torque, rediculous boost capability, reduced turbo wear,makes women &fanboi's faint at the sight of it, with just a small penalty(5-8%) in top end compared to a big single. THis is from the increase in TIP.
    Last edited by Baldturbofreak.com; 03-13-2009 at 10:40 AM.
    Me love boost long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldturbofreak.com View Post

Antonio,
    wait unil CHris is done with the next beta. Dont buy the GM kit right now.
    If we get the overboost/underboost tables along with perhaps the MAP/TMAP constant + adder's the need for the gmpp kit will be nil. (at least for guys like us, IE big snails- Dont give a hoot about warrantee)

If we're given access to at least those, I already have MAP,TMAP and pigtails worked out for 350kpa. If I wanna do some surgery we can rock 4bar.
    Yo rick, thanks!

with this plan of yours, do we still need to buy an aftermarket 4 bar sensors and ditch the 2.7 stock sensors?

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:
    baldturbofreak.com
    nitrofreeze.com
    forgestar.com
    splitsec.com
    nitrousexpress.com
    k1technologies.com
    driveshaftshop.com
    supertechperformance.com
    rceng.com
    specclutch.com
    statusracing.com
    burnsstainless.com
    BATES ENGINEERING

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    yea shabby i had the wrong turbo in mind haha i was thinking gt3076r since it was on my second screen haha our turbos are pinched up top it sucks. i was maping cams found some problems and moved toward turbo upgrade and clutch haha.

btf- going to be sick i want to see a pic of that beast just fabbed up in place going to be sick!!
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 03-14-2009 at 04:07 AM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    So lets see.

she understands
    MAP 512kpa = 59.76psi
    MAF 912 g/sec = 120lbs/hr 1200-1300hp pending on bsfc.
    IFR At least = 122lbs/hr (Chris any ideas about max injector size?)
    IFP 2800psi Im told. (Same here Chris)

It's going to be redonkulous!
    Last edited by Baldturbofreak.com; 03-16-2009 at 09:50 PM.
    Me love boost long time.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldturbofreak.com View Post
    MAP 512kpa = 59.76psi
    Rats! I'm not going to be able to run 80psi like Rod Millen's Pike's Peak Tacoma.

Advanced Tuner
    Good thing they make 1/2 studs for our motors that go from the head to the main caps...
    Me love boost long time.