Thread: Fuel Guage Output vs. Level

Tuner in Training

Fuel Guage Output vs. Level

Under the "Fuel System" tab for most vehicles there is a table that is "Fuel Gauge vs. Level" table. On a few LS1 vehicles I have know and most GM vehicles since the dawn of time the fuel level gauge on the dash always seems to read higher than the amount of fuel you have. And once the gauge needle get to about 1/4 or so until empty it always seems like you go 2 miles and your out of gas! (may be a bit exaggerated but you know what I mean)

Question is the numbers in this table are not linear. If I change them to a linear slop would this make the gauge on the dash read more accurately?

Search, there was a thread on this quite a while back with a good curve in there from MeentsSS02.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Quote Originally Posted by JmalibuSS
    Under the "Fuel System" tab for most vehicles there is a table that is "Fuel Gauge vs. Level" table. On a few LS1 vehicles I have know and most GM vehicles since the dawn of time the fuel level gauge on the dash always seems to read higher than the amount of fuel you have. And once the gauge needle get to about 1/4 or so until empty it always seems like you go 2 miles and your out of gas! (may be a bit exaggerated but you know what I mean)

Question is the numbers in this table are not linear. If I change them to a linear slop would this make the gauge on the dash read more accurately?
    The problem with a linear curve for this table is that the fuel tank itself doesn't have perfectly flat sides, so the fuel level drop won't be linear (the cross-sectional area of the tank is constantly changing as the fuel level drops). I took lots of data to get mine to be more accurate, and I've been pleased ever since. As was eluded to, I've posted about this who knows how long ago...if you have questions, I stop by from time to time.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MeentSS02 View Post
    The problem with a linear curve for this table is that the fuel tank itself doesn't have perfectly flat sides, so the fuel level drop won't be linear (the cross-sectional area of the tank is constantly changing as the fuel level drops). I took lots of data to get mine to be more accurate, and I've been pleased ever since. As was eluded to, I've posted about this who knows how long ago...if you have questions, I stop by from time to time.
    Can you post how you setup your system? My 99 Corvette has all zeros in the gauge output table,and my gas gauge is not working!